1. Old Fart
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Advice on choosing an open source repository

I have been working alone on a project for a few years. I have always intended to make it an open source project but I wanted to have something to show before trying to get others to chip in their time and effort.

I am using git for change management. And I have about reached the point when I should publish the project in a repository out on the web and, eventually, ask for help in the continuing development effort. I need a repository that provides some form of task and bug tracking. But I can provide my own web site for the project.

So, what venue should I use when doing this? I know of git-hub and Source Forge [though I don't know if SF supports git]. Which of these is a better choice? Are there superior sites of which I am not aware?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am aware of several others:
    Fresh Meat (freshmeat.net),
    Google Code (code.google.com),
    CodePlex (codeplex.com),
    BitBucket (bitbucket.org),
    etc.

A search for open source project hosting would probably turn up many more.

Don't know which would be applicable to your specific needs. Might be worth investigating them a little deeper.
  5. No Profile Picture

You can't go too far wrong with github or gitorious (depending on weather gitorious being open-source is important to you).

If you are already using git, I wouldnt bother with others like google-code, BitBucket.

Comments on this post

• richpri agrees : Thanks, I was leaning that way but I guess I needed to hear someone else say it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo