Discuss advice on bot programming in the Dev Shed Lounge forum on Dev Shed. advice on bot programming Dev Shed Lounge forum discussing anything that doesn't fit into the other forums. This is a place to relax, talk, and even have some friendly debate. Walk softly and carry a big wiffle bat.
Time spent in forums: 8 h 40 m 17 sec
Reputation Power: 13
advice on bot programming
just looking for some advice on programming intelligent agents or bots.....
basically i know about sites like botspot which give an incredibly big resource of bots however i want to learn how to make bots for one i have in mind, i have some basic sql knowledge so i reckon i can do this.
if any of you know any good resources online detailing how to go about creating bots, books on the same, discussion forums where i could pose this question etc etc i would be very greatfull if you could pass on this information to me here.
Time spent in forums: 4 Days 23 h 44 m 19 sec
Reputation Power: 81
If you're looking to create web bots, check out perl and the LWP suite of modules on the cpan- you can create automated "virtual browsers" that you can download pages and submit forms (even file uploads!) with.
I've had A LOT of fun with these. . . I've written a script that looks up phone numbers online from names and addresses, another that crawls one site, downloads the data, and then posts the data back to a different site, as a way to migrate data from Lotus Notes to a real platform (mod_perl and MySQL).
Perl is definitely the way to go if you're looking to write web bots. You COULD do it in any number of languages, but LWP is so incredibly powerful you'd be foolish to reinvent the wheel.
Time spent in forums: 7 m 43 sec
Reputation Power: 0
I just found a great book called "Bot Programming: Intelligent Automation For Windows Applications And Games"
The bots are written in VB.net and within a week I was creating bots to automate Windows application and games.
The Following Windows Automations Are Covered:
* Left And Right Mouse Clicks With Millisecond Timing
* Set Focus On Specific Applications
* Application Specific Mouse Clicks With Millisecond Timing
* Send Individual Key Strokes With Timing Control
* Send Multiple Keys Stokes Without Timing
* Starting Remote Applications
* Resize Remote Applications
* Run Automated Bots With Windows Scheduled Tasks
* Perform Screen Captures
* Use Pixel Recognition For Intelligent Decisions
* Applications and Games Botted: Windows Notepad, Windows Calculator, Windows Explorer, Firefox, 3D Pinball for Windows, Flash Games World Of Pain And Hero's Arms