1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Am I in the right place?

Hello, dev-shed goers!

I'm a senior in college for a computer science degree, and I've been pretty enthusiastic about programming since I was in high school. Up until now, I've been counting on what my college has taught me in order to gain the experience that I feel I need to work as a programmer (and eventually software engineer). Unfortunately, I'm starting to feel that what I had hoped I'd be taught is never going to come, and I see now that it's up to me to learn the things I feel I haven't learned here.

For the past couple of months, I've been working very hard to learn all that I can in preparation for my entry into the workforce. To tell the truth, I'm really scared - I don't feel that I know what I need to know, and my graduation is fast approaching.

I posted a question on stackexchange asking for help and direction to find somewhere I could go to find out what I didn't know I didn't know and learn the things I'd need to know to be a marketable, professional member of the programming community, and my question was shot down and closed very quickly. I realize in hindsight that my question was personal and didn't really fit stackexchange's format and thus should have been closed, but I asked politely if someone could please just tell me what to do or where to go so that my effort would be more fruitful, but I didn't get a single PM or comment with any sort of direction. It really rather disheartened me that I wasn't even given a pointer as to where I might go to freely ask these sorts of things until I considered a more conventional message board like this one.

I wanted to simply ask if this is the sort of place for these things. I'm hoping to find a place that will truly facilitate my learning more about a topic that I've had so much enthusiasm for with such little ability to learn from the people who've mastered the craft.

Thank you for hearing me out!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I would say you are most likely in the right place.
    This is a great community for helping others.

You should probably give more info such as what type(s) of programming you are interested in learning more about(gaming, webdev, etc.)...and what programming languages, so, you can be pointed to the proper sub-forum section(s) to start asking your "actual" questions.

Welcome aboard.
  5. No Profile Picture

Got it! Thank you for responding!

I'm into Ruby and Java, but my questions primarily revolve around things like best practices in general and working with technologies like source control and unit testing. I also have some general questions regarding working as/interviewing for programming jobs.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi Jtsessions,
    There is nothing to be scared of. Find some good juniour position and don't think about the things you don't know.The confidence will come through the work process.About the mistakes... well everybody make mistakes, we are humans right? Good luck
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Well. I'm a newbi in work ,too. I 've experienced the same feeling as you do. This is just a transation period .You will be OK .and Yeah, I make mistakes ,too. but I am sparing no efforts learning. and this forum is really a good place for people like us .everyone here is lovely and helping.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo