Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

3. No Profile Picture
    The one who gets it done
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Re: DevShed being all about Open Source: What is Flash doing on this site?

J
  5. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Really? There's a forum for Flash? Hold on, while I schedule an appointment with my eye doctor...
    Michael
  7. No Profile Picture
    The one who gets it done

Did I SAY forum, Michael? I don't think so. There are articles on devshed for Flash.

J
  9. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Did I say "DevShed being all about Open Source", Jay? I don't think so. There are posts on DevShed about ASP. There are no officially designated sections for either, (most likely) because they are not open source technologies. If I recall correctly, the raison d'etre for this thread was why there wasn't a forum about ASP. There's DevShed Forums and then there are the tutorials and articles. That doesn't change the fact that the people that post on Devshed are an open source community and abstain from Microsoft solutions for that reason.
    Last edited by pieux; July 22nd, 2001 at 03:25 PM.
    Michael
  11. No Profile Picture
    The one who gets it done

Did I say you said that, Michael? Je pense, non. And I do not know why you find it necessary to treat me and others with the (low) level of respect that you do in your posts. I'll thank you for being civil.

J
  13. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

I didn't say you said that, any more than I said you said "forum". As for civilities, my intent was not to offend, so accept my apologies if you were.
    Michael
  15. No Profile Picture

I never said ASP was the mor mature solution. I merely stated thatit was very immature to have this inane hatered for all that is microsoft. I have used and still use linux. I prefer windows. I own a Mac G-4 with OSX in my office along side my dells. I still prefer windows.

I happen to like Microsoft products as so the majority of users out there. Hence they are the most successful out there. Now I'll be the first to admit that they cut way to many corners and turn out a far less than perfect product. However, hhave you ever noticed that there are NO perfect products anywhere?

Just so you know ASP is more convenient for me. I work in a University environment and its all covered by the site liscence. Most people around me use it and its what I am learning. I also am learning php. Just so happens I like ASP better. I can look at sample codes and they make more sense to me when I read them thus I can write my own or make modifications. Now ASP may not be more convenient for you, but hey guess what the world doesnt revolve around the handful of hardcore powerwhiners (oops is that powerusers?) out there.

I simply was seconding the notinon that ASP=parriah around here. I did want to thak the guy who sent me to the ASP forum. I found what I came here looking for.

Now I mentined earlier that I am also learning php. guess what, I might have questions on that sometime. However, if coming here to find answers means joining a clique where we flame anyone who likes/uses something that we do not, well maybe its better to go elsewhere. Hey I didnt buy into that BS when I was in highschool. Didnt buy into in cllege and ...well....its beneath me to consider buying into it now.

Damacles
    Last edited by damacles2000; July 22nd, 2001 at 06:59 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    The one who gets it done

I feel similar to you, Damacles. I've been using VBA for nigh on 10 years, so it is second nature to me (or perhaps I even mean first nature). The C-style coding of PHP (or JS for that matter) I find awkward, simply because I'm so used to VB, starting with Apple Basic in high school.

I keep thinking I'll pick up PHP since I tend to pick stuff up pretty quickly and it's also on my server, and the curve seems to keep getting higher. (It is not a need at this point - if it were a need, I'm sure I'd have much more energy for it. ). As I've said in several fora in here, since I know VB so well, that makes ASP easier for me.

Is ASP better all around? Of course not - I can see that. I am now beginning to learn about the performance problems on our server (although they're probably caused by too much context switching on my part, since I'm new to ASP), and in seeing all the PHP code in the MySQL forum, it's clear PHP handles MySQL better than ASP does.

I'm sure I'll probably keep picking away at PHP and begin to use it on my web site. However, for now, I gotta go with the Evil Empire, as many times even abused children love the abusing parent.

I pretty much second everything Damacles said, except for the dig about power whiners.

J
  19. No Profile Picture
    PHP Coder

damacles:
    I don't think anybody flamed anyone here. We all simply stated why we like/dislike ASP or find it to be a poor solution for anything. Nobody here said, "Hey, it's retarded to like ASP! What the hell ya doin in an open-source forum?!?", we simply stated that you will need to go elsewhere for help with the language. I still use win98 and program under the win32 api/mfc in C++ and I don't have linux installed cuz I have a pathetic ~310 MB left on my HD, so I'm stuck with M$ products and it would be hypocritical of me to hate the M$ products I use every day, in fact I find some of their software to be amazing, ASP is one definite exception. Like I said, I understand why VB programmers would like it, but PHP is the by far best solution for C++/Java programmers. I was simply questioning your ideas, and by no means was I or anyone else flaming you. In fact, the only person that's thrown any direct insults in this thread is you...

Jay:
    I can perfectly understand why you would prefer ASP to PHP, after all, VB-style coding confuses the hell out of me, and most say that it works both ways. I'll start learning Java after I'm done learning the C++ I need, then I might try to learn BASIC, I think I have a gwbasic compiler somewhere in my collection...
    Last edited by sLiPkNoT rUlEz; July 22nd, 2001 at 07:26 PM.
  21. No Profile Picture

another thing

ok, even without considering the advantages of PHP (easy coding, powerful, portable, FREE, etc.) there is something else, for any ASP support you need to contact the vendor, even pay some1 to help you, here on PHP, you just post a thread on this forum, and in about 5 you get your first answer, support on PHP is awesome, all those open-source gurus out there willing to help.........
  23. Contributing User

Xtrange27:

There are fora for ASP. However, I haven't used any of them and I don't have a clue about their quality.

Bizzk
  25. No Profile Picture
    The one who gets it done

XStrange, do you really think that all us evil people who use ASP don't help each other? Do you think that just because there isn't an ASP forum on here, there aren't ASP fora elsewhere? cmon...

J
  27. No Profile Picture

You might like to check:

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/

I have found that site to be an excellent source of ASP help.

I am sure PHP is wonderful (I just have to believe anyone who uses the word kewl in their signature:-). I use ASP as it give me the ability to reuse components created in many languages, and more importantly for me, I can mix VBScript with Perl and Python on the same page. This is incredibly useful as I have many script fragments and packages that I have used as CGIs over the years which are part of my toolkit.

As far as performance goes, I don't care. My web sites don't attract millions of hits and they perform fine. A bigger performance gain is usually made by setting up caching appropriately and making sure databases and queries are designed well.

I would certainly like to be more familiar with PHP, but once you have mastered (well, got used too:-) one flexible set of tools, you need a strong (preferably personal financial gain) reason to change.

Neil
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo