Thread: ASP = Pariah?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    The one who gets it done
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ASP = Pariah?

Greetings:

Newbie to the board with a question: with all the server-side sections, why nothing on ASP? Because it's not open source? Gosh I'd love an ASP section....

Jay
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think there's no ASP section because DevShed deals mainly in Open Source software -- PHP, for example. Just about everything discussed on DevShed is Open Source. Since ASP isn't Open Source, they don't discuss it.
    To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson
  5. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    JE,

Since ASP is commercial, I'd suggest help should be provided by the vendor.

But as more and more are finding out, open source solutions are actually BETTER supported by their community of users than commercial products are by their vendors and community combined.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

...and some of us have been burned by Microsoft enough that we have a vengeful, grudgeful, vendetta against them, and do everything possible to encourage others to avoid using their products even if it means offering free help to others with using the free world's free software. ;-)
    Michael
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What would you recommend as an alternative to ASP then for sending a simple email from a form?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

If you aren't concerned about relying on the web browser's email functionality (and keeping your E-mail address concealed), you can do it all client-side with mailto:<address>. Otherwise, PHP.
    Michael
  13. No Profile Picture
    PHP Coder

PHP kicks ASP flat on it's @§§...
    Click here and wait. It's a kewl effect, trust me.
  15. No Profile Picture
    The one who gets it done

It may. It very well may. However, considering the fact that I have been using VBA for 9 years, ASP sure comes a whole lot easier....

And doesn't typing $ all the time make you crazy?

J
  17. Contributing User

Nope, it reminds me of the $$$ I saved when I chose to use PHP (and many other open-source/free programs).

Bizzk
  19. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Typing $ is a HECK of a lot easier than typing Request.Form() or Request.QueryString. Just a few less characters. Especially if your form has, say, ten-twenty fields. ;-)
    Michael
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ASP has nothing on PHP..

ASP... rofl..!!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    PHP Scripts n Stuff
    http://www.bcnstech.net/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  23. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Wink Oh, come on... don't be so harsh, nih58!

ASP is great for testing new 1.4 GHz machines with Ultra 160 SCSI RAID Level 0 drives. PHP doesn't generate nearly enough CPU cycles or hard drive thrashing. ...and power switches! When was the last time you had to "test" a power switch on a Linux server w/ Apache & PHP? With NT, IIS, and ASP, you have almost daily opportunities for doing that!
    Michael
  25. No Profile Picture

Regarless, of the imature personal problems aaimed at Microsoft, some of us use ASP out oof convenience. We come here because this is a place where we asume intellegent people who may be of some help are located. Unfortunately we often find the very same cliques that drove most intelligent individuals batty when we were in highschool. My suggestion is for DevShed to providde the forum and those who dont like it to stay out and those who are a bit more growm up to offer/seek the same help they do in other forums.

Damacles
  27. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Although the way we express the disdain we have in Microsoft for causing these problems may be immature, the problems themselves are not what is immature -- it's the sloppy code that Microsoft shoves down the throats of the masses. Devshed is an open source community that recognizes the quality inherent in that model of software distribution. If you don't like that, go to http://asp.forumszone.com/ or some other such resource, and keep your drivel to yourself.
    Michael
  29. No Profile Picture
    PHP Coder

ASP, convenient?!? Even if it comes with IIS/PWS, the extensions probably don't and you have to pay for them, which is why quite a few webmasters feel screwed over by the language. "I bought the damn language, now I have to buy add-ons to do stuff that PHP comes with for FREE?!?" just doesn't seem like anything I'd want to find myself saying. PHP has limited BASIC-like syntax. But like i said, it's very limited. I really don't see how a strictly open-source community is cliqueish. (I know, bad spelling)

Also, how is using ASP a more "grown-up" solution for server-side? I can understand VB lovers using it, but PHP is faster, more powerful, and FREE. As far as a small to medium sized business, I consider PHP to own them all. But then when you get to large-to-enterprise-sized, you're stuck with Java/JSP.

PHP = portable, fast, powerful, easy to code, and FREE
    ASP = proprietary, slow, has potential to be powerful with certain add-ons, harder to code, and costs $$$

Name the better business solution.

This rant has been brought to you by Craig Casey.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo