Thread: Your avatar

1. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Your avatar

Just wondering how people came up with / selected the avatar they use on the forum here; mine's quite simple: "it's my car, it's awesome"

How about yours?
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984
  3. I <3 ASCII
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by badger_fruit
    Just wondering how people came up with / selected the avatar they use on the forum here; mine's quite simple: "it's my car, it's awesome"

How about yours?
    I'm big into poker and was/am an arrogant SOB. I took Jhoneil Centeno's 'Dicey' image because I identified with it. I cropped and deressed (wow that works in spellcheck) it until I got under the size requirements, and I've been using it for since 2003 or 2004 .

I lost track of the original for a while and tineyed it on occasion. For a while I only got my own avatars and one guy from russia I think that copied it from me. Finally in 2011 I found the source I've been meaning to contact the guy to order a print of the image since it's been my avatar for a decade, but that was when I (well my wife) had our first kid. I should really get back to trying to contact him.

-MBirchmeier
  5. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Mine was a picture of my son for a while, but I figured it was time to change that so now of course I'm using Wyatt from the most watched show at my house Super Why! I watch it with Jaesun and encourage him to play along I think it's fantastically educational and fun.

You might see my name associated with this logo elsewhere on the web:

That's my name (medialint is an anagram of my real name). That's my logo. That's me.

:-)
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. Come play with me!

I bet somebody's dying to know where mine come from. I moved a bunch of files back in February so I don't have correct modification dates on them but it's probably been at least 7 years of cycling through the ~35 I've collected.

With some notable exceptions, such as these, they're all characters from a video game series I picked up a few years ago. 19 20 games and counting. Plus assorted books (I have all the official ones), comics (ditto), and music (ditto plus a sizable collection of fan works). Think Final Fantasy but larger and more complex. No spoilers because I've been trying to see if anybody recognizes them - no success yet
    The avatars themselves are cropped from images I've found.
    Last edited by requinix; October 19th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
  9. Sarcky

I saw a large version of my avatar in a comedy article about funny warning signs (no idea where, but probably the work of Lore Sjoberg), changed the caption to "caution: cthulhu" and thought it was so funny I've been using it for 15 years.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    My avatar? It comes from this album cover.

Fun fact: It is the oldest public avatar on devshed as it was avatar #1 from when they enabled avatars on this board . I haven't changed it for historical reasons.

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hey I have used the same Avatar for years now in my different forums. Think of it as a Eye that is always watching you....!!! Hey it works well in the RPGer gaming world/theme anyway...

The Great Eye, is all knowing and all seeing....

Comments on this post

• badger_fruit agrees : Fears the all-seeing eye ... The Illuminati are real!!!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo