Thread: Blogging Advice

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Blogging Advice

I'm in the process of planning a design for a personal website and to upload my CV to. From the examples I've seen many of them have a blog but the trouble is I'm not much of a blogger and don't have a lot to say so a blog that only gets updated a couple times a year won't look very good. I'm wondering if I really need one and how do people manage to update their blogs so frequently? I don't do a lot that would be of interest to blog about. Does anyone have any advice on this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Others will weigh in on this, but I think you pretty much answered your own question. Not everybody runs a blog, and most who do probably shouldn't. The good blogs I know are entirely topical, like one devoted to free speech issues, blogs about mathematics, blogs about programming topics, etc.
  5. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Absolutely you don't need one, especially on a site that you are highlighting your resume/CV on. If your purpose in doing so is to attract clients or find career opportunities then it's probably best that you don't have a blog. Some blogs are very thoughtful but most end up as "rants of the day" and a prospect might well be impressed by your CV, then they read your opinions on plastic bag bans and decide they'd rather not do business with you after all. Won't really help, but definitely can hurt.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    Absolutely you don't need one, especially on a site that you are highlighting your resume/CV on. If your purpose in doing so is to attract clients or find career opportunities then it's probably best that you don't have a blog. Some blogs are very thoughtful but most end up as "rants of the day" and a prospect might well be impressed by your CV, then they read your opinions on plastic bag bans and decide they'd rather not do business with you after all. Won't really help, but definitely can hurt.
    Thank you this response has really put the idea of a blog into perspective. You are totally right in that prospective clients my not agree with your opinions and may steer away business I hadn't thought about that. That said though, if I were to blog frequently about a topic related to one of my fields it may show experience such as the latest developments in HTML 5 or Windows 8 apps for example. Problem here is that I'm not a very opinionated person I could read up about latest developments but I'm not that good on giving my own thoughts on it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo