1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Bundling software

Hi everyone,

We are developing a great desktop tool and once we finish we would like to get it installed by as many people as possible.

I thought about taking open source software and bundle our tool in the installation process (where the users can choose if they would like to install our tool as well).

And then distribute those applications on our general downloads site - for example a user will search for a free ftp client and find it on our site (this is an existing open source ftp client that I will take and offer to download on my site) once he finds it on my site and start the installation he gets an option to install our tool too in the install process.

My questions:
    1. Can I do this (technically / legally) with open source software?

2. What is the best way to bundle our software with another software in your option.

btw, our tool is for mac and pc.

Hope someone can help me here.

Thanks
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Generally people hate bloatware. While many OSS licenses allow you to reproduce/redistribute as long as everything is still free and open, why would I download firefox PLUS your thing, rather than just firefox (for instance)?

The only people you'll actually get to install it are people who don't care or don't realize that your product is hitching a ride.

Your best bet is to actually get the word out about your product itself. Rather than hoping to get high search engine ranks for "free ftp client" (you won't), optimize your own product.

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo