Thread: Car Alternator

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Only the strong survives!!.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Car Alternator

I have a Honda Civic 94 ex, My alternator got messed up.. Now what I want to do is change it and not hire a mechanic to do it for me.. because I want to learn how to fix my own car's.. Is there anything I need to know.. Or do you think its best for me to let a mechanic do it?
  3. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Change the part that looks like this:

---John Holmes...

Comments on this post

• sizablegrin agrees : ROFL! Pretty much the case. Beware serpentine belts.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  5. Only the strong survives!!.

rotf, fag!(nothing personal you just made me laugh for a sec) ya.. I know how it looks like.. I just never changed it before
  7. Type Cast Exception

Welcome to the Mechanics' Forum where we discuss cars, car repair and related topics.

You should know: you might spend a lot more on tools than your mechanic would charge you for labor!
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. Only the strong survives!!.

blah!! help a brother in need!!!
  11. Type Cast Exception

I'll change it for you if you finish this god forsaken project I was volunteered for. (looks at clock ... 11 hours and counting) ...

google knows some tips, I think :-)
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by xlordt
    blah!! help a brother in need!!!
    All I can advise ya is make sure you have no screws left over when you finish replacing it. From past experiences, I've found this to be very bad!
  15. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Nah, extra screws come in handy elsewhere. Just don't pound the bolts into your aluminum block when you can't line 'em up and get 'em started normally.
  17. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

pchaw, engineers always take pride in how many extra screws and bolts they the get into a project, it's a bit like engineer geek cred, one should do it

Comments on this post

• sizablegrin agrees : They always put a few too many in there, to see if you really know what you're doing....
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  19. Banned (not really)

Getting it back on and the belt tight enough (or not too tight) is probably the greatest challenge. Otherwise, it's a couple of bolts.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

FWIW
    Dealing with the way the device is driven...either by a serpentine or a v-belt often determines how hard a job it can be i.e., loosening and tightening back to specs...

Also you might want to check the manual but it is usually a good idea to disconnect the battery from the system before removing the alternator.

Good Luck
  23. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Always disconnect the battery. Forget the manual. If it says otherwise I'll whip myself with your serpentine belt. After you get the alternator back on and the belt in place, you pry it outwards with the jack handle until you can't pry it any more, then you tighten it down. Torque wrenches are for wimps.
  25. Only the strong survives!!.

so the belt is probably the hardest thing then heh? what do need to get that belt just about right? I'm going to try it out on sat.. so I have time to get other advices... but.. I do need them.
  27. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

In all seriousness, I'd recommend you get a manual specific to your vehicle. Things are not what they used to be, two-three bolts and a belt. Some vehicles have things so crammed in that you have to remove totally unrelated things before you can replace another. The serpentine belt is definitely a beach on the first try. If you find out you have to remove a lot of unrelated things and buy a lot of special "tools", then you have to decide whether you're going to make it a habit, and save a few bucks, or just say, "screw this", and take the associated screwing from the dealer/repair shop. Shoot, you can't even find a decent shade-tree mechanic, anymore.

Comments on this post

• JimmyGosling agrees : right on
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Go down to your local parts store and see if they have a 'Hanes' manual for it. Should have enough info to replace the alternator. Usually they have a step by step, with photos. About $15 USD

Comments on this post

• jabba_29 agrees : Yep, Haynes are the dogs nads when it comes to car manuals - or at least they used to be :)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo