Thread: Career Change

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Career Change

I'll make this brief because I don't want to waste anyone's time but I'm trying to get ahead. My name is Dave. I am 29 years old and I've spent almost a decade doing internet/performance marketing. A few months ago, I burned out and decided that it was time to have a real career, and I started coding with my brother, who himself is a programmer. For the past 3 months, I've been learning and doing c#/mysql/mssql/ javascript and css but as of a few weeks ago, I've had the most success with sql and decided to focus mostly on that rather than a combination of c#/sql. It is my intention to get a junior or entry level sql position at the start of 2014, which pretty much gives me 1 year of some kind of sql experience. Right now I work mostly with mysql but am already transitioning to MS sql and plan on getting MCSA sql 2012 certification by the end of the year or beginning of 2014. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any kind of SQL internships or part time jobs in south florida or anywhere I can work remotely, so that I can just throw myself into the mix, gain experience, and go from there. I would appreciate any help.
  3. No Profile Picture

bump
  5. Contributing User

Some advice, would be try to learn anything for MySql Opensource up to 5.5, and MariaDb 10.0.1 (also open source) and PostgreSQL 9.3 (also open sorce and alot like oracle Standard 11.2.0.3 db). Plus learn Linux RedHat/SUSE, and pick up Bash shell scripting, as well as Python 2 and 3, Java, XML, and maybe Perl. The key here is to try to get a working knowlegde of all of these different resources/programs/languages/etc so when you go apply you can get your foot in the door.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ByGoneYrs
    Some advice, would be try to learn anything for MySql Opensource up to 5.5, and MariaDb 10.0.1 (also open source) and PostgreSQL 9.3 (also open sorce and alot like oracle Standard 11.2.0.3 db). Plus learn Linux RedHat/SUSE, and pick up Bash shell scripting, as well as Python 2 and 3, Java, XML, and maybe Perl. The key here is to try to get a working knowlegde of all of these different resources/programs/languages/etc so when you go apply you can get your foot in the door.
    Wow, you have no idea how much that helps me, thank you! What about mastering MS SQL?
  9. Contributing User

Well you have to decide what you want to do really...do you want to be a SQL Developer, or be a Database Administrator, or a Programmer? Well ok MS server is another one as well too...

For me I have 18+ yrs as a Oracle DBA with Enterprise / Standard ed of 11.2.0.3 ....but I also have MySQL 5.0.51a but learning and testing 5.6.10 now. Now as for PostgreSQl I have supported 9.0, 9.1 and testing 9.3 currently and toying with MariaDB which is a fork of MySQL 5.1 but MariaDB currently is 10.0.1 currently. For me MS server 2005 is the last I had to support.

Another set of skills you also might pusue is Taland Opensource ETL tool, or any other open source tools like Jaspersoft Jasper reports that is also open source. Try to learn any tools that you can get a demo of like TOAD for whatever DBS you want to try it against. Also a key trick when you down load a demo tool or etc, use a Gmail account and when the license runs out, just get again with a different email account. The key is learn as many tools and languages and databases as you can and this way when you rewrite your resume you can safely put lots of stuff on there and then you will just have to sell yourself to some company to get yourself hired.
  11. No Profile Picture

here's the thing, I'm not sure what the difference between sql developer and database administrator is, otherwise I would answer your question. In terms of "programmer", if I can somehow manage to do both c# and sql then that is where I'm going, but I've been having killer success learning sql while not so much success with c# so I'm leaning towards full on sql.
  13. Contributing User

If SQL is what your good at then go in the direction of either SQL Developer and/or Database Administrator. Look a SQL Developer regardless of of the database; Oracle. MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, or MS SQL all use SQL. Oracle and PostgreSQL also use PL SQL as well too. The SQL language is basically the same, just that each database has it's own specific bent of how this or that structure in the database is actually built using their own version of the SQL Syntax. Learn it for one Database and it is easy to pick it up for the others. Oracle is the most complex with the most add ons of all of them.

So to answer your question a SQL Developer builds the structures and objects within a database that store the data. They also design how the data is stored and used too.

The Database Administrator basically builds the database itself that supports the Developers that put the data there or select it for reports or what ever.

Now there is a grey area where the two jobs combine and can act as one, you have to figure out where you want to fit and pursue that path for yourself. Now I consider myself a DBA and not a Developer, but I have Dev skills and knowledge aswell too. I am also a Network Tech and Sys Admin, that is why I am a Systems Architect as well too. Plus add to that I am also a Project Manager too...these are from spending 20yrs in the IT world working in Beta Test and RD for copanies that were Oracle Bleeding edge Beta Test shops and using it all in Production/ DEV / Test. I am also very skilled in Virtualization as well and when I take the VMware 5.1 course I will also take the VCP5 certivication add that to my list of skills.

So the best advice to you or anyone is get as many skills as you can learn and always be willing to learn. In the long run it will help you greatly. Then try to figure out what your long term goal might be and stay true to it. Be happy with what you do and have fun at your job, thus you will be doing well at it if your having fun. I actually enjoy coming to work and doing my job, and I like the people I work with as well too.
    Last edited by ByGoneYrs; February 28th, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture

Is choosing between DBA and developer something I should put off worrying about until I further master the various sql programs out there?
  17. Contributing User

Well you could try them both, I have known many Developers that also had DBA skills. The two jobs have a different focus, but the key is what do you want to do?

Get all the training and experience you can and see where your first couple of jobs lead you. Be willing to help out in both areas and increase both skill sets and after you have been working for 2-3 yrs in either, make a choice then what you want to do. My guess is you will become a SQL Developer with DBA skills as well. Maybe long term you become a Database Architect...a higher level Developer and DBA area.
  19. No Profile Picture

You have no idea how helpful you've been. I have no idea which I want to do because right now I've finished the head first SQL book but yea, I'll work on all of that. The key is for me to be able to get a first job with only 1 year experience. That's really why I'm going for the MCSA SQL certification. I know it's a stupid piece of paper but it may be great for getting that first junior developer job.
  21. Contributing User

When ever you have any chance to obtain any certification take the chance pursue it. Also step up and be willing to help out and volunteer to do extra things that are above and beyond if you can learn something new. It looks good and some might think negative of it, but when your trying to learn new things, it is a good way to learn something that you can also eventually put on your resume. Learn and broaden your abilities in all directions. Each skill learned and earned will help you in the big picture of things.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ByGoneYrs
    When ever you have any chance to obtain any certification take the chance pursue it. Also step up and be willing to help out and volunteer to do extra things that are above and beyond if you can learn something new. It looks good and some might think negative of it, but when your trying to learn new things, it is a good way to learn something that you can also eventually put on your resume. Learn and broaden your abilities in all directions. Each skill learned and earned will help you in the big picture of things.
    Well I greatly appreciate it. Right now I'm trying to find some freelance work on odesk and freelancer.com for $1/hour because there's a minimum. If I could do pro bono work for a few months just to get experience I would. Meanwhile I'll just continue learning.
  25. No Profile Picture

For all of you SQL pros, how much experience should one have before one is ready to start studying for the first SQL 2012 MCSA exam? I think some site said 6-12 months or so I'm not sure. I'd love to start as soon as I can but I want to make sure I understand what I'm doing.
  27. No Profile Picture

bump

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo