1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do I change my client's code?

Hi. I started a new job as a web developer for a small company, and recently I earned a certificiate in web development.

One of my clients need an update to their software. It simply involves changing the web address between the <a> and </a> links. Obviously, if I right-click View Source then I can see the code, but it won't allow me to edit it.

What do I need to do to update this code?

This has been an on-going problem before I started this job which was only a day ago.
    Thanks for whatever help you can provide!
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This is a question for your client, not us. They're the ones who know where the files are, how you get to them, edit them, and publish them to the site.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your help. I figured it was something along those lines.
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

So.. You earned a certificate in web development and you're trying to edit and save files by viewing the source in the browser???

Wow... What did they actually teach you???

Comments on this post

• ptr2void agrees
  9. No Profile Picture

No, I was just making a statement. That's why I used the word "obviously".
  11. Hockey face

But your whole question shouldn't have to be asked. If you got a certificate in web development but don't know where/how you would need to edit the documents, then you might want to wonder the value of the certificate.
  13. Sarcky

Where did you get this certificate?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  15. No Profile Picture

This is amazing.

Did it occur to you that if you could simply click view-source and edit the page, that anyone else in the world could do the same thing? Did that not register as being potentially a problem? I don't even know where to start.

You got a certificate of web development? Did you print it out yourself and write your name in crayon? Clearly you have no concept of client/server interaction with even a STATIC html page.

You think editing "code" which is really HTML is done through the browser? I guess your "certificate of web development" is proof enough that you haven't the slightest clue what you're doing.

You'd think a small company would be slightly more selective of who they choose, but then again since you say "This has been an on-going problem before I started this job " I guess nobody there has any clue about technology, and so that's how you got hired.
  17. Sarcky

The irony of your account being named robert_half nearly made my head explode.

I agree though, "not knowing how web design works" was an ongoing problem in his career?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  19. No Profile Picture

nvm

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo