Thread: New X-Com game

1. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

New X-Com game

Has anyone played the new X-Com game that came out just before Christmas?

I got it the day it was released (the first time I've bought a game on launch day since Skyrim) and I was thrilled with it. There were some minor bugs with the camera, enemies sometimes appeared at random, etc. But it was a really fun game and I was really enjoying myself.

Then I started the final mission. I walked through the doors expecting to find enemies, but there weren't any! Confused, I continued through 3 more empty rooms of the enemy mothership, not finding a single enemy unit on any of the levels, side paths, or main path.

Finally I got to a set of large doors (which I later found out were the doors to the final boss). They did not open.

Turns out sometimes the game just "oops" forgets to draw any enemies, and if that happens to you the only recourse is to purposely suicide your entire team (better hope you have rockets or grenades available) and try the mission again, ruining your win/loss ratio and missing out on achievements in the process.

I contacted the publisher's tech support and they claim that I'm the first person to bring this to their attention, which I found odd since it took me 2 minutes on google to find EIGHT threads on their official forum about this issue, complete with screenshots and reproduce steps.

I hate modern gaming. Why is it now ok to release half-finished, shoddy games? I don't want to have to be their unwilling beta tester, I don't want to pay $65 for the game and then $15 for the rest of the game in day-1 DLC. And I certainly don't want the company to pretend like they don't know their games can't be finished when it's pretty common knowledge on their own forums.

Anyway, /rant, I'm just annoyed. Maybe I'll demand a refund from amazon.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. Sarcky

Update: after a recent patch failed to fix this issue, I complained to Amazon and cited all the forum posts about the game not being complete. I got a full refund.

Amazon is also relaxing their video game refund policy on EA games, like SimCity. Are we seeing a trend that will eventually result in better games being released? Probably not, but that would be nice huh?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Thanks for the update. Yeah, while XCOM: Enemy Unknown isn't an EA game, EA is known for releasing buggy games. Battlefield 2142, for example, still has some bugs after the final patch even after being patched several times.

I agree, Day-1 DLC is quite lame.

I think the problem may have something to do with the age of the studio developing the game. I'm rather selective about what I play, but in my experience, younger studios seem to put more effort into quality control. It looks like Firaxis, the makers of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, have been around since before 1997. DICE, which is the studio behind the Battlefield series, is even older.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  7. Sarcky

Yeah, but older studios have good reputations. Look at Valve. The first game or two is where you'll reap that "trying too hard" benefit, but after that they're all the same. 2K (the publisher/co-developer) made Bioshock, and that was an amazing game. Bioshock2, not so much. X-Com, massive failure.

I'm disappointed, is all. Playing Force Unleashed II for the third time.

9. Sarcky

Update: On a whim I decided to try the final mission of X-Com again yesterday. This time, the enemies actually appeared. The final battle features enemies being "dropped" by the main Big Bad, so they don't spawn like normal enemies. I assume that's why the bug exists in the first place. There was no software update to fix these bugs (there was no software update at all, despite a game-ending bug being present for 6 months), it just happened to work for me that day.

The actual end of game mission and associated storyline was really awesome, if the game wasn't full of game-ending bugs I would have given it a 9/10, but with the game ending bugs I can't in good conscience give it more than a 6/10.

Also, when you finally DO beat the game a game summary screen shows up, comparing your various accomplishments against the global average. Except THAT screen is buggy as well. Either that, or I shot down 12 UFOs while the global average is well over 20 million.

11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Congrats on finally getting past the bug in the final mission.

An average of 20 million? That does seem ridiculously high. Yeah, big bugs can definitely take a lot of the fun out of a game.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  13. Sarcky

I could easily have done so back in December if the enemies actually spawned.

It really is a great game, it's just so sad that a great game could be so spoiled by a lack of QA and bug fixes.

It reminds me a lot of my own company. We spend very little time or money on QA, and the product suffers extensively because of it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo