1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Computer Automation in Plain English

This probably isn't quite the right forum for this, but I couldn't find a better one, so here goes.

It's a little "robotics" project my youngest son and I put together to see what Computer Automation in Plain English might look like.

Here's the link to the short article we wrote:

pc-control.co.uk/control/articles/article10.php

Enjoy!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

An enjoyable little write-up, good work from both you and your son; you sound like you both have the same kind of wry humour that I do! I can only agree with Rzeppa the elder's maxim about standards - that's a refrain I often used in my 30-odd years of working with computers. Your explanations with the 'type as I talk' seem to be pitched at just about the right level for a pre-teen and Rzeppa the younger looks to have a fun and interesting upbringing ahead of him!

Small point, toward the end you have "my dad was about start numbering things" which seems to be missing something ('start to numbering'?) or uses a wrong word.
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by SimonJM
    An enjoyable little write-up, good work from both you and your son; you sound like you both have the same kind of wry humour that I do! I can only agree with Rzeppa the elder's maxim about standards - that's a refrain I often used in my 30-odd years of working with computers. Your explanations with the 'type as I talk' seem to be pitched at just about the right level for a pre-teen and Rzeppa the younger looks to have a fun and interesting upbringing ahead of him!
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by SimonJM
    Small point, toward the end you have "my dad was about start numbering things" which seems to be missing something ('start to numbering'?) or uses a wrong word.
    Yes, you're right. It should read, "my dad was about to start numbering things." But getting it fixed is out of my control. Sorry.

PS. Nothing wraps in the editor here. Is this a feature or a bug?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Gerry Rzeppa
    ... snip ...
    PS. Nothing wraps in the editor here. Is this a feature or a bug?
    As has been confirmed elsewhere you have, indeed, found a bug - but keep it quiet or everyone will want one!
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo