1. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

How many computer programming languages do you know?

In another thread, it asks how many human languages (i.e. English, Tamil, German) you know.

So here is the dev-side:

How many computer programming languages do you know?
    Lets sub-divide it, how many have you been paid to write in, and how many do you know. For example, I took a course in college that used Snobol, but no one has ever paid me to use it, as cool as it was.

To my thinking, things like HTML or CSS don't count, no does XML, altho you could argue that they are like programming.

My guess was that I have used 30, but I only count 25 real ones. There are more of course, if you use vendor specific dialects, such as Oracle's old UFI.

Here is my list of 25, with the ones with a (p) meaning I was paid to write in that.

Fortran IV
    Algol
    IBM-360 assembler
    Watfor (U Waterloo fast compiler for students)
    Watfive (Fortran 5, U Waterloo fast compiler for students)
    Snobol
    Fortran-10 (p)
    Fortran-77 (p)
    Flecs (p)
    Ratfor
    Macro-10 (p)
    Macro-20 (p)
    Bliss-36 (p)
    Cobol (p)
    C (p)
    C++ (p)
    Visual C++ (p)
    Smalltalk (p)
    Java (p)
    Javascript (p)
    Python (p)
    Php (p)
    DPL (System 1022) (p)
    SDPL (Structured DPL) (p)
    SQL (p)
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'll add (e) for educational environments

RPG-II (e)
    IBM/MS BASIC
    Logo (e)
    Perl (p)
    Lisp (e)
    Ada (e)
    Fortran-77 (e)
    COBOL (e)
    VMS Assembler (e)
    C (Borland) (e)
    Visual Basic (p)
    Visual C++ (p)
    Visual C# (p)
    ASP (p)
    Javascript (p)
    VBScript (p)
    PHP
    SQL DB2/MS/Oracle/MySql (p)
    Pascal (e)
    8088 Assembler

I feel like I'm forgetting some. There were also some proprietary scripting languages that I got paid for learning and using but probably aren't really worth mentioning since no one will know what they are anyway. And things like the cakewalk CAL language. And ... does Flash actionscript count?

..... removed VC++ redundancy ;-) ....
    Last edited by medialint; January 7th, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hmm, are you counting VC++ twice?

I forgot about CAL, I hacked around with that in the early 90s when I got my synth.
  7. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    I'm only listing the languages that I used to write programs for other people. Any languages where I only wrote code for myself or for school courses are not listed (e.g. C#, FORTH, Scheme, 8085 assembler etc.). In my list (p) = paid code (up) = unpaid code, because I did it for free or as a summer intern.

C (p/up) - Many gcc versions at previous and current jobs for about 15 years, Turbo C 1.0/1.5/2.0 ( I wrote a terminate and stay resident print spooler back in 1992 when DOS still ruled, an AV program or two and a whole bunch of replacements for the Norton Utilities stuff), Quick C, some C interpreter for DOS a long time ago (I wrote code to control a plotter, as well as a graphics library that could do 1024x768 VGA graphics with 256 colors, because Turbo C's BGI driver could only do 640x400 with 16 colors on a VGA card. Lots of fun with graphics algorithms and the 0x10 interrupt -- I developed it on the C interpreter and later ported it to Turbo C as a drop in replacement for BGI. Quite a few people used my library )
    C++ (p/up) - Various flavors: g++, Borland C++ Builder, Turbo C++ 3.0, Visual C++ 1.5/6.0/7.0 etc.
    Pascal (up) - I helped my dad write some code in Turbo Pascal 5, for a text book he was writing on Computational Fluid Dynamics. You can still get the book at Springer Verlag and I'm listed in the credits. Wrote code in Turbo Pascal 3 and 4 as well, but they were mainly for me and my friends' amusement.
    FORTRAN (up) - FORTRAN IV and F77 - Just minor debugging for friends projects. Perhaps this should count as paid, as they did buy me burgers and coffee.
    Delphi (p/up) - versions 2 to 6.
    GUPTA (p) - Can't remember what version any more. The code I wrote was used to manage price books of convenience stores across the US.
    DataFLEX (p) - Can't remember what versions any more.
    BASIC (up) - Mostly stuff to help my high school with some student reports and such. This was in GWBASIC. Me and another guy later wrote an anti-virus program in Turbo BASIC a long time ago. I wrote stuff in QBASIC as well, but that doesn't count as it wasn't code that was used by someone else.
    Visual Basic (p/up)
    PHP (p/up) From late 3.x to 5x. I even contributed a fix to PHP's interpreter for a MS SQL function .
    perl (p/up) - From 5.001 to 5.12
    python (p/up) - From 1.5.2 to 3.xx
    lua (p)
    ruby (p) - Version 1.8 mainly. I was paid in hardware and lots of food/drink . I developed two websites in RoR.
    java (p/up) - v1.0, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7
    JavaScript (p)
    Microsoft ASP (p)
    ProCOMM's ASP Scripting Language (p) - Different from Microsoft's ASP! This was used for scripting dialup modems and sending data back and forth.
    x86 Assembler (p)
    IRL (Intermec Programming Language) (p) - For programming handheld scanning devices made by Intermec corporation. Recently saw that my code still in use in the wild, 15 years later
    Clipper (up) - This was a dBase clone that worked on *nix systems. I wrote some code for the local uni. library as a high school student, since my dad thought I ought to spend summer vacation doing something productive instead of screwing around at home and got me the gig. The code was used to track the 5.25" floppy disks that came with certain books.

I'm listing different SQL dialects separately, as they are sort of distinct languages:
    PL/SQL (p) This is Oracle's SQL dialect
    T-SQL (p) This is MS SQL's dialect
    SQLBase (p) Centura's product, used by GUPTA and also some code I wrote in Delphi 2.
    MySQL (p/up)
    PostGRES SQL (p)
    Informix SQL (p) - Never again!

I'm probably forgetting a few, but day job calls.
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; January 8th, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Since I just completed my B.Tech so I just learned the programming languages during my course but have never been paid for writing them.. Programming Languages that I know are:-
    C
    C++
    Java
    JavaScript
    ASP.Net
    Visual C#
    SQL
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well i have been studying programming for a while now and learning languages sense my child hood. I have only been paid for a few of them, hired for a few others where the project went belly up before a paycheck ever came out of it.

Fortran: 95/2003-Used back in highschool for some projects. Was the first language that I learned
    Pascal/Delphi: TurboPascal, Borland ObjectPascal, Delphi
    Basic: QBasic, VisualBasic6, VB.NET
    C
    C++:Borland, G++, and c++.net
    PHP
    ASP/ASP.NET
    Python
    JavaScript/Ajax
    ADA:2005

Have been paid for(javascript, asp, c++, VB.net, and php)
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

In no particular order:

php
    tcl
    perl
    Delphi
    Javascript
    Shell scripts (ksh, bash, Posix sh)
    Python
    csh
    6502 ASM
    BASIC (various varieties: Sinclair, BBC, GW-BASIC, IBM PC BASIC and BASICA, ST-BASIC and GFA BASIC (for Atari ST), Visual Basic (3, 4 and 5))
    TSO/E (including ISPF and Dialog Manager)
    JCL
    COBOL (various varieties, ICL, IBM COBOL, VS/VOBOL and COBOL II)
    CICS/COBOL
    IDMS/COBOL
    ADS/O
    Easytrieve
    Culprit
    IBM/360 ASM
    dBase (II, III, and IV)
    Lotus 1-2-3 macro language (sort of counts?)
    Last edited by SimonJM; January 10th, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  15. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Well since I've always been on the infrastructure side of the house, I haven't been paid to program except for some scripting.

I've dabbled in:
    VB .NET
    Java
    PowerShell (paid for when I do scripts)
    Batch (paid for when I do scripts)

I need to learn more but the only thing I typically do is write scripts to automate stuff.
    Codeinated
  17. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    What I find really cool about old programming languages is when I walk into some store and see that they're still using code that I wrote many years ago .
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo