1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

How can I keep my computers healthy in 100% humidity!

Hi;

I leave 20 meters from the beach. Everything has a thin layer of moist on it! I am worried to bring my computers here. How can I keep them safe from humidity?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have the same problem. Block-casting systems with no moving parts works well to ruggedize a system, but not everyone is satisfied with C70s and RaspberryPi :-)

So far I haven't had any problems as long as the towers are in an air-conditioned area. The cool air can't hold as much moisture so you're pretty safe that way. Be careful if you suddenly open a window and blow hot, wet air on chilled cases; it can cause a lot of condensation throughout the cases in a real hurry.

Systems that aren't in a dehumidified or air-conditioned room can get flaky after about a year. Some screens and other peripherals stand up to the humid, salty air better than others. Old CRT screens don't last long but for the most part LCD screens have worked well. Mechanical keyboards get screwy relatively quickly if left out in the salty air (my last Unicomp keyboard corroded! Nooo~! Really hard to find a replacement in Japan.).

That's about the best you can do. Backup regularly.
  5. Contributing User

Also clean your fans for the tower and if you use fans external to the PC then make sure you clean those too. Trying to keep them in a cool environment out of the sun is the best thing you can do for them.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It probably wouldn't hurt to get a dehumidifier. You could probably get a cheap one and stick it right beside you computer. We have one for our basement and it really makes a difference.
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Some of the more extreme mods I've seen have had the entire machine submerged in mineral oil (or some other non-conductive material). No worries about moisture there!

Don't actually do that, but it's interesting the lengths some people go through.

As the poster above me said, stick the machine in a closed room out of the sun and put a dehumidifier next to it. Remember that if the computer is the coolest thing in the room it will get damp. Keep it warm. Keep it ON in an air conditioned room and not much moisture will collect.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo