1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Conscious Decision to not Support IE

I've been developing software for over 25 years and have been doing web development for the past 10. I'm an entrepreneur with several web services, some commercial, some not. While putting together a new service this week, non-commerical, I reached my breaking point with Internet Explorer and made a conscious decision to just not support it with this latest site. It just sucks up too much of my time. So now when users log into my site using IE they will see a message, which I couldn't post a link to.

I'm not forcing my users to use another browser to view my site, simply informing them that IE isn't specifically supported and then I encourage them to try another browser, explaining the benefits.

I'd like to try to turn this into a movement. I've already registered a domain name to support it. I understand that commercial sites' survival probably depend on supporting IE, but there are a lot of sites out there that aren't commercial that could help.

Am I wrong in thinking that the majority of web developers out there feel the same way as I do?

Am I naive in thinking that web developers could actually make a difference by educating the web browsing public?

What do you think?

Thanks for your time.
  3. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Is this all versions of IE or were you trying to cater to older versions?
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  5. Type Cast Exception

IE8 is the only browser that's considered "standard" in our corporate wide install (~250k users) anything else is usually breaking the rules. Because I know what I'm doing I have admin rights and reasons to use other browsers, but I think the policy of detecting browsers (which itself is often incorrect) to display a personal rant on browser compatibility is not the same kind of positive image that trying to be accommodating to all users would send. If you're a business site you're shooting yourself in the head with such inanity. What about people who browse with smart devices or smart TVs or people with disabilities with text readers? Will you rant about that too? Or will you try to just make it work, instead? Remember that your visitors are not coming to your site to hear your personal diatribes.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Welcome to DevShed Forums, jacksragingbile.

Have you seen Browse Happy? IIRC, It used to be anti-IE and only suggest alternatives, but now it also suggests that people upgrade IE as well.

There are a bunch of sites against IE6 (though there used to be more) and may be some against IE7 and IE8 by now.

http://www.ie6nomore.com/
    http://www.neoease.com/lets-kill-ie6/
    http://iedeathmarch.org/
    http://ie6funeral.com/
    http://www.ie7nomore.com/
    http://ie8nomore.com/
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture

I wouldn't call it a rant. More like a public service message.

There are now 4 versions of IE out there in use by the general public that all interpret the exact same html / javascript differently, which is also different from the other major browsers that comply to the W3C standards. And don't confuse what is "standard" for your company with W3C standards. Standards are put in place for a reason and when a single company refuses to comply because they already have a large part of the market, it makes life difficult for everyone. Everybody loses. Web developers lose because they have to spend time and money re-inventing the wheel, instead of investing their time into adding new features. End Users lose because some features may have to be dropped altogether because a certain standard isn't supported at all. It's detrimental to progress and it's completely unnecessary.

Why do you think your company restricts it's employees to a single web browser on a single operating system? Because it would cost them considerable money if their IT department had to maintain a variety of browsers, versions, and platforms. Unfortunately web developers don't have that luxury.

Trying to educate the public on the benefits of everyone using standards-compliant browsers isn't inane. It seems like the right thing to do. If every browser implemented the standards correctly, it wouldn't matter if the browser ran on a desktop, laptop, tablet, smart phone, smart tv, or your car's infotainment system. A website would work and look the same regardless. That is the whole point of having standards. It provides users with the freedom to use any technology they want without worrying about being limited and it provides service providers with the freedom to be able to focus soley on delivering practical features for their customers.

Why would anyone want things differently? Can you imagine if every utility company provided electricity at whatever current they saw fit? Would electronics companies be inane for demanding some sort of standards and or for complaining when their products didn't work because a single utility company refused to comply and the general public was completely ignorant to the problem?

It seems to me that a unified effort by web developers / web service providers to educate the public on why they should upgrade their old browsers or to notify users when they detect that they are using non-compliant browsers would be the smart thing to do. Providing them with detailed instructions on how to upgrade for those users who aren't comfortable installing new software.

If only a few websites were to do it here and there in there own unique way, it wouldn't be effective and might even make non-tech savvy users suspicious, who are the people most likely to be using non-compliant browsers. But if there were an organized effort with a single notification that all participating websites displayed, those users would be more likely to switch or upgrade their browsers.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought this would be a good thing for everyone. I also thought more web developers would be for it, given all the boo hooing that goes on on web development forums due to this problem.

And, I wonder why detecting what browser version someone is using is often incorrect? Go figure. It would be nice if we had no need to know such information.
  11. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    An Aussie guy took a more drastic step with his online store. He simply displayed a popup window that informed customers using IE7 or lower that they would be charged 6.8% more than customers using newer browsers and a helpful set of links to download/install newer browsers. His justfication: It took his dev. team a whole lot more effort to make their pages look correct on IE7 than all the other browsers combined, hence the extra charge for IE7 users.

http://www.afr.com/p/technology/use_...SIWcDUqehtguOJ

Comments on this post

• Kravvitz agrees : Thansk for sharing that. :cool:
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  13. Type Cast Exception

And don't confuse what is "standard" for your company with W3C standards.
    I never did. What I wished to point out is that you care, but most consumers don't. Most of the sites work, if yours doesn't someone else's will. Publicly complaining about it might appeal to your fellow developers and hacks, but will turn others off. That's all. Cheers.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have always wondered why IE is so broken. Being a stock product, you would think it to be most compliant.
  17. Sarcky

Most of the sites work, if yours doesn't someone else's will. Publicly complaining about it might appeal to your fellow developers and hacks, but will turn others off.
    This is the problem. The vast amount of disposable income on the internet is in the hands of IE users. Even Chrome's market share hasn't touched it. It's nice to make a technical forum that ignores IE rendering problems, but guess what? Devshed doesn't work right in Chrome, it works perfectly in IE. We just have to live with it.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo