Thread: Cutting cable

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Cutting cable

Hi guys,

My cable bill is going up at the end of the month and I'm done with them.

Rather than try to pointlessly renegotiate, I've finally convinced the missus to give cutting cable a try. Before I can do that, I need to fulfill a few requirements:

1) DVR

Currently we DVR shows across multiple networks. We also have a whole house DVR. Will I be able to set up something similar without cable? Channels like Fox and NBC stream shows but Discovery Channel does not.

2) Food Network

She's a woman so she watches a lot of this just randomly. How feasible will it be to watch shows without cable?

3) Sports

She doesn't watch a lot of sports but we both enjoy watching tennis. I haven't seen much discussion on watch ESPN app but is that a feasible option for catching Wimbledon or the French Open?

Also, I understand I can't just cut cable and magically have these things happen but that I will likely have to spend some money to make it happen. What things will I need to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan disagrees : She's a woman so she likes cooking shows, you're a sexist so I like de-repping you.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

1) Hulu

2) See if it's on hulu. Also, this was pretty sexist.

3) Sports is the reason most people still have TV. The ESPN app may not work without a cable subscription. The MLB and NHL apps work alright, but black out local teams so you'll never see your local franchise again unless you go to a bar.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

I recommend getting a Roku 3 streaming media player. I really like it's predecessor, the Roku 2 XS.

If you want access to current seasons of Discovery channel shows, the only way I've found that might provide access to them without Cable/Satellite (and without resorting to searching for a pirated copy of each episode) is PlayOn, which can be used with Roku.

Some episodes of Food Network shows are on Hulu.

NBA is very similar to what Dan says about MLB and NHL.

She's a woman so she watches a lot of this just randomly.
    Cooking is not "just a woman thing" anymore. I watch Food Network sometimes too (e.g. Chopped; Diners, Drive-ins and Dives; and Iron Chef). I miss Alton Brown's Good Eats. Unfortunately I don't have the Cooking Network, which runs a lot of reruns of Food Network shows, including Good Eats.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  7. Sarcky

Roku is a client of ours and I keep coming very close to getting a roku, but I tend to watch youtube on the TV more than most people, and Roku isn't youtube compatible. I'm not keeping an AppleTV hooked up JUST for Youtube, so I'm going to hold off on buying a Roku until they get their act together.

I cut the cord a year ago and then went back due to a very good advertised deal from Verizon. I'll probably cut the cord again after the world series, there's just nothing keeping me watching TV anymore.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. Type Cast Exception

I watch the food network. I also like to cook. I'm not a woman.

I would be a bit lost without the sports channels but otherwise everything I want is on the Internet. If I'm not watching baseball or football I'm typically watching kid's shows and they are mostly all on Amazon Prime and/or Netflix.
    Last edited by medialint; July 9th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi all. Thanks for the replies. My comment about being a woman and watching the food channel was meant to be tongue in cheek so apologies if anyone was offended.

I think we're going to get a Roku box and try it out before we officially cut. Is there any difference in the software on the Roku 2 XD and the Roku 3?

In looking at the specs, I don't think I need the Roku 3 unless I would be able to watch more than I would be able to on the Roku 2 XD.
  13. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Trying out a streaming device before cutting cable is a very good idea. Something else to consider is your distance from the transmitters for local broadcast channels so that you can see how feasible using an HD antenna is.

The new UI for the Roku 3 was back-ported to the Roku 2 models. Personally, I like using the Ethernet port instead of Wi-Fi. I haven't used the USB port yet myself, so I can understand not paying more for it. The motion sensitive controller is not a big deal, since games are a relatively minor feature. Besides the hardware differences, there's also the effect that the Roku 2 models feel a little sluggish.

Remember that you may be able to find a better deal on eBay or Amazon Marketplace instead of buying directly from Roku.

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    I keep coming very close to getting a roku, but I tend to watch youtube on the TV more than most people, and Roku isn't youtube compatible. I'm not keeping an AppleTV hooked up JUST for Youtube, so I'm going to hold off on buying a Roku until they get their act together.
    Yeah, I don't watch YouTube nearly as often as some people I know.

You're right that there is not an official YouTube channel for Roku, but there are a few ways to watch YouTube videos on Roku. I use Plex for that and for watching videos from other sources, including CBS.com and my digital movie collection.
    Last edited by Kravvitz; July 10th, 2013 at 11:46 PM.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  15. Sarcky

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    You're right that there is not an official YouTube channel for Roku, but there are a few ways to watch YouTube videos on Roku. I use Plex for that and for watching videos from other sources, including CBS.com and my digital movie collection.
    I don't want to resort to weird hacks and involving other devices just to get youtube on the TV. My boss's watch plays youtube, it should work out of the box. Not supporting the biggest internet video source on a streaming video appliance is a serious failure on their part and I don't support it.

The AppleTV may be a terrible device, but it was a gift so I'm going to use it until it breaks.

17. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by lokisapocalypse
    Hi all. Thanks for the replies. My comment about being a woman and watching the food channel was meant to be tongue in cheek so apologies if anyone was offended.

I think we're going to get a Roku box and try it out before we officially cut. Is there any difference in the software on the Roku 2 XD and the Roku 3?

In looking at the specs, I don't think I need the Roku 3 unless I would be able to watch more than I would be able to on the Roku 2 XD.
    The only real difference I found when I bought my Roku (which was more than two years ago so certainly they have new models by now) some had a USB port and could read a flash drive and some did not. I opted for the flash drive thinking I'd play my music that way. Then I ended up getting an Apple TV so I could get all the music I have in iCloud anyway. Some were still selling at 720 not 1080 but I just ignored the 720s. You can probably get a pretty good sense of comparison at amazon between the site and the reviews.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Roku 2 XD came in the mail today. It's really great, however I'm a bit disappointed in HuluPlus.

Its kinda lame that you can only watch a handful of shows through the TV. A lot that I'm interested are web only.

Also, there's no way to watch CBS. At all.

Its looking more and more like I either can't cut cable or I need a dedicated computer for running such things.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo