Thread: Data science?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Data science?

The last time I was here in devshed, I've hinted an interest in programming. Basically I'm a masters student in physics (well my masters topic is 70% programming, mostly on numerical methods though).

Anyway I've heard about machine learning and data science last week while I'm hanging out with a bunch of friends. It seems that this is the future of programming! How does it sounds if I'm crazy and:

1. switch to PhD in CS (my original plan was astrophysics).

2. what should I prepare myself to show my competency? GRE in CS?

some role model would be great!
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The future of programming for most programmers I suspect will be about the same as it always has: maintaining, upgrading and replacing legacy business systems.

So far as I understand it "Data Science" is just another name for "Analytics" and is as broad as "Computer Science" was when I was being formally educated.

Sure there are groundbreaking areas, but the innovators in those areas usually have expertise in other areas besides bits and bytes, say ... astrophysics or some such thing.

The most fascinating data point here is how readily one can change the scope and focus of their future plans after a weekend with their friends.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    The future of programming for most programmers I suspect will be about the same as it always has: maintaining, upgrading and replacing legacy business systems.

So far as I understand it "Data Science" is just another name for "Analytics" and is as broad as "Computer Science" was when I was being formally educated.

Sure there are groundbreaking areas, but the innovators in those areas usually have expertise in other areas besides bits and bytes, say ... astrophysics or some such thing.

The most fascinating data point here is how readily one can change the scope and focus of their future plans after a weekend with their friends.
    Yeah I know I sounds a little crazy in present - be rest assured I'll make an informed decision before jumping right into it. (that's why I'm posting here!)

Anyway thanks for your insight - I will take taht into account. In fact I was thinking of getting a very computational project in astrophysics. Perhaps I can pick up extra knowledge in my free time. Hmm..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo