1. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Db management tool

Hi, I'm evaluating some opensource db tools, like mysqlnavigator, pgaccess, ibaccess, isql ...
    I'd like to know what features everyone would see in them, like browsing, user management, visual design, data pumping, replication management ....
    Thanks!!!
  3. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Hard to say, I use a remote terminal
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  5. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    The only thinkg I use (occasinaly) for db managing is phpmyadmin and I like it. Not too fancy and has everything I need (plus written in one of my favorate languages )
    And you know I mean that.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Post Since you asked

Each RDBMS has good tools, whether it is the mysql or pgsql tools, PGAccess, MS Enterprise Manager or the excellent phpXXXAdmin series.

As demonstrated by the above posts, most of us are pretty set in our ways when it comes to database tools, myself included.

A new management tool in this area would have to offer something the stand alone, per RDBMS system tools do not offer. It would have to be flexible, fast and work with all the popular databases and run on multiple platforms.

On top of that, the interface would need to be customizable in its features so that things like graphical table relationships and query building could be turned on and off with a click. And be able to manage all aspects of each servers administration in a common interface.

I'd settle for a good rip off of M$'s Enterprise Manager or GreatBridge's Win32 PGAccess that runs on X-Windows (curses would be great, too, for us console junkies), and is fully functional with all aspects of MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, Oracle, Informix, et al.

That should be easy enough

Now that thats out of the way, whos up for getting all these RDBMSs to adhere to the ANSI language specs?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo