1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Dear Mods, why some Threads die here?

Ok, I don't know any better place to post this. This is not php quesiton but related to this forum. I post everyday so I want to learn if I am doing something wrong.

I looked in the manual for this forum but I cant find the answer. I found a lot of reason why and what NOT to post.
    But I just need to know why
    Why some Threads like this or this die?

I shouldn't repost I understand. If I know the reason they die, I make sure that doesn't happen.

Thanks
  3. Mad Scientist
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

In some cases the answer has been given. If the OP is too lazy to understand or not competent enough to understand then those replying will often just give up helping.

Sometimes the OP can upset or anger those helping, eg consider this line

requinix I need you to help me make this bullet proof
    That's just rude! That's when helpers give up.

The answers have been given, it's now up to the OP to do some further research, on their own to further their own understanding - now that he/she has been given the right direction.

Those who help on this forum do so voluntarily, in their own time. There's a very old saying that goes something like this

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can feed him for a lifetime
    People who come here looking for a free fish super will have their threads die out.

Those who learn to fish become useful members of the forum as the forum becomes a problem/solution resource rather than a Q&A site

Comments on this post

• ptr2void agrees
    I said I didn't like ORM!!! <?php $this->model->update($this->request->resources[0])->set($this->request->getData())->getData('count'); ?>

PDO vs mysql_* functions: Find a Migration Guide Here

[ Xeneco - T'interweb Development ] - [ Are you a Help Vampire? ] - [ Read The manual! ] - [ W3 methods - GET, POST, etc ] - [ Web Design Hell ]
  5. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by Northie
    In some cases the answer has been given. If the OP is too lazy to understand or not competent enough to understand then those replying will often just give up helping.

Sometimes the OP can upset or anger those helping, eg consider this line

That's just rude! That's when helpers give up.

The answers have been given, it's now up to the OP to do some further research, on their own to further their own understanding - now that he/she has been given the right direction.

Those who help on this forum do so voluntarily, in their own time. There's a very old saying that goes something like this

People who come here looking for a free fish super will have their threads die out.

Those who learn to fish become useful members of the forum as the forum becomes a problem/solution resource rather than a Q&A site
    This is very well explained, thank you.
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The best answers you'll get from a volunteer forum are for questions that are fun to solve or tasks that are fun to perform. When you first posted a link to your website, you got a lot of really good help from me and Requinix because it was fun to break into your site and make minor changes. When you came back to show us some new login form you developed, I tried a couple of basic things and then told you my result: basic things no longer worked. Comprehensive security scans of a login form that may or may not actually go anywhere aren't fun. That's why the responses tapered off. This happens a lot on the forums. The question just stops being interesting. What Northie said about people not understanding the answer also applies. Sometimes a person is HANDED the answer and still continues to argue. That thread contains some classic examples of bad questions and bar forum etiquette. Now, this is the reason why some threads taper off and the conversations die. What about threads that never get started?

The new user guide covers some classic "bad questions." Your posts tend to fall on the "bad" side of the spectrum, though they're by no means the worst. Your post titles have spelling errors, 3+ punctuation marks in a row, and are generally ambiguous. Some of your most recent posts:
    Is this file secure?
    A security question
    Help, I've been under attack
    Securing website folders
    How did this happen? A script was uploaded to my root folder!!!!!!!
    Php programmer or not??? Evaluating php coding skills
    Help with simple query
    Duplicating my website, is it better to use the sabe DB or create another DB?
    Most of these titles don't follow the Object-Deviation method of writing a thread title (specified in the "bad questions" link in my signature). There are further spelling errors and the ever-important !!!!!!!!! and ????????, which annoy people and prevent them from clicking. The remainder of these thread titles are vague. You have 4 threads generically titled "security," just in the last few weeks.

Your threads always seem to get clicks and at least one response, mostly because you post in PHP and that's the most active forum. Take a look at another forum on here. In the Beginner Programming forum there's bee a thread called Any Prolog Experts Here? for 11 days. No responses. It's still the first thread in the forums. I think the answer to her question is "no."

Also, since this is a generic question, I've moved it to the lounge and linked to it in threadspotting.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    The best answers you'll get from a volunteer forum are for questions that are fun to solve or tasks that are fun to perform. When you first posted a link to your website, you got a lot of really good help from me and Requinix because it was fun to break into your site and make minor changes. When you came back to show us some new login form you developed, I tried a couple of basic things and then told you my result: basic things no longer worked. Comprehensive security scans of a login form that may or may not actually go anywhere aren't fun. That's why the responses tapered off. This happens a lot on the forums. The question just stops being interesting. What Northie said about people not understanding the answer also applies. Sometimes a person is HANDED the answer and still continues to argue. That thread contains some classic examples of bad questions and bar forum etiquette. Now, this is the reason why some threads taper off and the conversations die. What about threads that never get started?

The new user guide covers some classic "bad questions." Your posts tend to fall on the "bad" side of the spectrum, though they're by no means the worst. Your post titles have spelling errors, 3+ punctuation marks in a row, and are generally ambiguous. Some of your most recent posts:
    Most of these titles don't follow the Object-Deviation method of writing a thread title (specified in the "bad questions" link in my signature). There are further spelling errors and the ever-important !!!!!!!!! and ????????, which annoy people and prevent them from clicking. The remainder of these thread titles are vague. You have 4 threads generically titled "security," just in the last few weeks.

Your threads always seem to get clicks and at least one response, mostly because you post in PHP and that's the most active forum. Take a look at another forum on here. In the Beginner Programming forum there's bee a thread called Any Prolog Experts Here? for 11 days. No responses. It's still the first thread in the forums. I think the answer to her question is "no."
    Also, since this is a generic question, I've moved it to the lounge and linked to it in threadspotting.
    -Dan
    It doesn't feel great to realise one has been wrong but hey, you are making good sense here. All points taken and respected. Apologies for any previous law breaking

Edit: By the way, how do you modify this topic:

Last edited by zxcvbnm; August 15th, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Well said, Northie and Dan.

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm
    Edit: By the way, how do you modify this topic:

You include a link to the thread and ask a moderator of that forum to change it for you. In this case, perhaps Dan will take care of it for you in the morning.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  13. Sarcky

I corrected the spelling on the post title. You can also "report" your own posts under the category of "other" and put your request in there.

I wasn't necessarily saying that you have been wrong, or broken any rules. I was just pointing out that your thread titles are ambiguous (which gets you fewer clicks) and your problems generally aren't fun to solve. Sometimes that's the way it goes. Click on my name and check out the threads I started when I first joined. NOBODY was able to help me. One of them never got a single response. My problems aren't fun.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  15. Moderator Emeritus

zxcvbnm,

First of all, it's not the responsibility of the Moderators to answer forum questions. Let's get that misconception cleared up now.

As Moderators, our responsibilities are to keep the forums clean of spam, ensure that posts are sent to the proper forums, mediate disagreements between users, act as a conduit of communication between users and the forum Administrators / Owners, and in an effort to ensure quality information is available on the forum, work with the user community to see that the basic forum rules / guidelines are adhered to as much as possible.

Answering questions is the choice of the DS user community. Sometimes users choose to answer a question, sometimes they choose to let it die. Since Moderators are a part of the DS community, just like our users, we can choose to answer or ignore. It's just that simple.

Luckily, Devshed has a bevy of insanely talented developers, who are experts in every conceivable language, who are all at different stages of their careers, and who care about the DS community. Because of the depth of technical knowledge and the "skin in the game" attitude of our Moderators, we tend more often than not to try and point users in the right direction. However, this is a choice on the part of the Moderators, not a responsibility or a requirement. We have plenty of Moderators who are content to sit back, let the forum communities work out problems on their own, and concern themselves only with their Moderator responsibilities. Each Moderator is a little different in that sense.

Also, keep in mind that the Moderators contributing time and talent to Devshed are here on a completely volunteer basis. We don't get paid, we don't get recognition; for what it's worth, we don't get thanked a whole lot, either. In the 9+ years I've been a Moderator on DS, where I've answered a boatload of questions, helped restructure several of the forums (anyone remember the old HTML/CSS/Javascript forum? LOL), helped launch several forums (XML, Software Design, Website Critiques, ColdFusion, Business Help, Scripts... probably a few more I'm forgetting), guess what I received? A ball cap. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago. And, it has a DS logo on it, so basically I'm a walking billboard for DS when I wear it. But, it's a cool hat. LOL

Anyhow... don't bang on the Moderators when threads don't get answered. Frankly, as much as we like to help, we all have families, or day jobs, or are in school full time. If you figure out the answer to your own question, post it as a response. Help out other users who are still learning skills that you already know. Contribute. That's why we're here; we can only assume that making a contribution is why you're here, too.

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees : Well said, and I'm jealous of your hat.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo