Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There's another type of braking that's forbidden (not just engine braking) that's actually dangerous, but I can't for the life of me figure out the right term.

Speaking of those tracking things, I got one from Progressive that tracked my speed and hard stops for a month. Turns out the way normal human beings stop at a stop sign counts as a "hard stop." I had something like 3,000 hard stops in a month. I called them to ask about it and they said a decrease of 7mph in the span of a second counts as a "hard brake." That makes sense if I go from 60 to 50 on the highway, not so much when I roll to a stop at a stop sign.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. I <3 ASCII
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    There's another type of braking that's forbidden (not just engine braking) that's actually dangerous, but I can't for the life of me figure out the right term.

Speaking of those tracking things, I got one from Progressive that tracked my speed and hard stops for a month. Turns out the way normal human beings stop at a stop sign counts as a "hard stop." I had something like 3,000 hard stops in a month. I called them to ask about it and they said a decrease of 7mph in the span of a second counts as a "hard brake." That makes sense if I go from 60 to 50 on the highway, not so much when I roll to a stop at a stop sign.
    This might be a feature on their side rather than a bug.

If you do a lot of driving near stop signs I'm guessing you're much more likely (per mile) to get in an accident than per mile on the freeway. While you might be driving 'perfectly normal' it's still 'not ideal driving' from their algorithm's point of view.

-MBirchmeier

[ninja? edit] As an aside how do you like those tracking things... i've been debating getting one but i've been too lazy[/edit]
  5. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    So did you get any discount out of that? I was thinking of doing the same thing to get my rate down a bit since I'm considered "high risk" until May 2013 when my DUI is 3 years out and isn't counted against me. At least then I'll get a decent drop in premium them. Then again I could say I'm putting the OBDII tracker thing on the '69 Cougar Eliminator
    Codeinated
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I got zero discount because according to their machine I slam on my brakes every half mile.

I know 6 people who did it and they all have the same results. I guess if you live way out in the country with few stop signs that nobody stops at anyway, it's good and can save you money. But my morning commute is 15 minutes and includes 35 stop signs. Gradually drifting to a stop gets old in rush hour.

[ ninja edit myself ] The data was interesting as far as data goes, we all love data. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know (I got 65 on the highways and hit thousands of stop signs per month). My problem with it is that the criteria for "sudden hard braking" doesn't take starting speed into account. The drop in speed from a deer running in front of me on the highway is the same rate as stopping at a stop sign in a suburb. The progressive one doesn't do GPS, it's a 3g connection that only sends engine data (speed, basically). The fancier ones that do GPS might be interesting, but it would tell me I go to work, daycare, the bbq joint, and my girlfriend's house in the same pattern every week.
    Last edited by ManiacDan; October 10th, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. I <3 ASCII
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I think your auto insurance is just encouraging you to run stopsigns.

-MBirchmeier

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees
  11. No Profile Picture
    I haz teh codez!
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

NM, I'm a moron.

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees
    I ♥ ManiacDan & requinix

This is a sig, and not necessarily a comment on the OP:
    Please don't be a help vampire!
  13. No Profile Picture
    I haz teh codez!
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hmmm, should I be insulted at the agreement?!

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan disagrees
    I ♥ ManiacDan & requinix

This is a sig, and not necessarily a comment on the OP:
    Please don't be a help vampire!
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo