Thread: No longer a dev

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    But it's all useless now! All this ridiculous PHP knowledge and I'm not doing anything with it.
    You will find that Product is a totally different and weird world. You may love it, or you may suck at it and need to do something different, perhaps even going back to dev.

But your PHP knowledge is going to be obsolete in a few years anyway. All languages become obsolete. All technologies become obsolete. Get used to it.

Once you have four or so languages under your belt, the next is easy. Same with going from one kind of database to another. I don't mean from Oracle to MySql, but from a network database to a hierarchical database to a Sql database to a NoSql one.

Learn to solve problems, don't worry about being a wizard at one tiny niche.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yeah, I do know more than one language, but I'm also the resident PHP expert around here, especially for weird edge cases. Hopefully I won't get too rusty at least for that reason.

I love product already, and not just because the boss is 10 times better.

Solving client problems thus far has been really fun except when their problem is "we're dumb."
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo