Thread: No longer a dev

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

No longer a dev

Starting tomorrow morning (9 hours from now), I will no longer be a developer in any professional way. I'm starting a new role at my company as a Product Architect, which means I meet with the clients, collect requirements, and design the products that development then creates.

So anyway, I had a bit of an existential crisis the other day because I realized this will be my first non-developer role since I worked at a deli in early high school. I've been doing websites since I was 15. What am I going to do with all these spare brain cycles now that I'm a product guy? It's ridiculous! I'm not even a dev manager (the job was offered to me but I decided to move to Product), I just moved out of the dev department entirely.

Anyway, discuss. Have any of you ever made the move from dev to non-dev? How did you handle the transition?

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees : Good luck in the new role!
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

I'm not even a dev manager (the job was offered to me but I decided to move to Product)
    Probably a good choice; I moved from dev to dev management, although I didn't have a whole lot of choice in the matter. I'm hoping to get into product development eventually though.

The part I like least is being responsible for the work other people do. You will probably have less of that in product development I imagine.

I was a really effective programmer, so I feel like I get a lot less done in day now. I still do coding from time to time though, but only when I'm bailing out one of my developers at the last minute.

On the up side, doing less actual development work at work gives me more energy to do development work as a hobby.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Sarcky

Probably a good choice; I moved from dev to dev management, although I didn't have a whole lot of choice in the matter. I'm hoping to get into product development eventually though.
    See, the problem I'm having is that my degree is actually in IT management. I never actually utilized it in an official capacity, though as a senior dev and being "in charge of projects" I got to do all the responsibilities without any of the benefits.

On the up side, doing less actual development work at work gives me more energy to do development work as a hobby.
    This is what I'm hoping will happen. I haven't coded at home in years.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

Once a dev, always a dev, you can't unlearn sh!t ...

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : I would disagree, but I guess memorizing factlets to pass tests is not "learning", other than "learning how to pass exams"
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  9. Sarcky

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    Once a dev, always a dev, you can't unlearn sh!t ...
    But it's all useless now! All this ridiculous PHP knowledge and I'm not doing anything with it. And the worst part is, I'm going to be obsolete in another year if I don't keep up. I'm hoping my time in the forums will keep me on my toes. Maybe I'll learn another language. I've been meaning to learn Python for years.

11. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

coding @ home ... or for nixers
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  13. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    I've been in upper engineering management three times, as well as some mid-level stuff. I was effective at it, so there was always something available if I looked.

I'd get so tired of it after two or three years that I'd quit and contract for hardware or software design for a few years. Then I'd get tired of that and look for a management job.

I was always happy with my career, whichever part I happened to be pursuing.
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
    DaWei on Pointers Politically Incorrect.
  15. Moderator Emeritus

I haven't coded for a living in almost a decade. Same transition that you're at the beginning of - coder to architect, architect to consulting, consulting to director, director to CTO, CTO to VP... anyhow.

I code on nights & weekends to keep my chops up. Architecture is an awesome pursuit though - make sure to brush up on your GoF Design Patterns book (which still blows my mind to this day) and get really good at UML (knowing which types of diagrams matter helps... not all of them are useful), writing Use Cases / User Stories, etc. You'll have a blast, trust me.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  17. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    That's all BS, Dr. Groove. Two golf games a week fixes everything.

Comments on this post

• drgroove agrees : LOL
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
    DaWei on Pointers Politically Incorrect.
  19. Sarcky

So it turns out, as many of you have said, that I actually enjoy pulling my face away from the computer screen on occasion. I've been doing about 40% dev work and 60% product architecture for the last month now, and I like product architecture much more. High level design work, data relationship diagrams, laying out new application structure, and making integration plans with our partners is far more entertaining than writing regular expressions for 12 hours.

Programming is very enjoyable to me as a one-off thing. 15 minutes writing a recursive script to spell large numbers out as english words is fun. Writing a regex to parse the magnetic strip on a credit card was a pleasure. Trying to debug a drag-and-drop custom javascript library in IE8 is not at all enjoyable. There's far less useless, frustrating bull in my new job.

21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Good luck man. Its been great hearing your input on these forums and hope you will remain active here. I know i will never be at risk for moving away from dev and put in front of a customer(no body wants me to talk to customers because i would probably tell them how stupid their requests are and get fired).
  23. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by portcitysoftwar
    Good luck man. Its been great hearing your input on these forums and hope you will remain active here. I know i will never be at risk for moving away from dev and put in front of a customer(no body wants me to talk to customers because i would probably tell them how stupid their requests are and get fired).
    Depends what level of customer and what function you are doing. First level help-desk, I am 100% on board with you. Trying to fix clueless user's problems over the phone for crappy pay, no thanks. Now sitting down and actually architecting solutions with higher level managers could be interesting.
    Codeinated
  25. Sarcky

Now sitting down and actually architecting solutions with higher level managers could be interesting.
    It is. In the last month I've worked with Intel, Oracle, and Verizon. The guy I'm working with at Oracle, I read his book in college.

27. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    It is. In the last month I've worked with Intel, Oracle, and Verizon. The guy I'm working with at Oracle, I read his book in college.
    I could see that being fun. I think if I do pursue an MBA, I might go down that route. I know you need a lot of business sense when it comes to architecting a solution (at least in a large environment). ROI is everything.
    Codeinated
  29. Put a potato on it!
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

That's awesome, Dan, it sounds like it was a good move for you. Really jealous that you're working with Oracle too.

I moved from dev to tech support and did that for about a year before going back to dev. That was pretty unpleasant, but it sounds like your move has you learning new things and trying new things. I'm sure there'll be plenty on the forum to keep your brain active too
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo