1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DeVry University or UAT

Currently I am a student at DeVry University studying Game Simulation and Programming. To me, the classes seem a little lackluster. I honestly just want to learn computer science and programming to find a good job when I graduate. I was hoping studying Game Programming could help me get into an entry level position at some studio. But now I'm not sure. I've discovered another University called University of Advancing Technology and they have a Game Programming degree as well in addition to another Advancing Computer Science degree. I don't have anyone in my life that I could look to for advice who is knowledgeable about these kinds of subjects so I figured I would post the question here.

What university and what program would help me find an job as a video game programming or any entry level job best?
  3. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

A "game degree" sounds like something Sally Struthers is pitching after we hear "Do you want to make more money? Of course we all do!".

Of course, I'm not in the gaming industry, so maybe they carry more weight than I think. I'd be interested to hear some opinions on that.

Do you really want to be a game programming code monkey your entire career? A inter-disciplinary program that covers programming along with business or management topics would appeal to me more.

Comments on this post

• ptr2void agrees : Avoid DeVry. Seriously.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  5. Type Cast Exception

I'd argue that there's no such thing as an "entry level job". There are jobs that may be filled by entry level people, it's up to you to prove you can handle the job and also to beat down the doors to find the one person that is willing to give you that opportunity.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. Sarcky

Diploma mills like DeVry and ITT aren't worth anything in the real world. Most of them aren't even accredited, which means they don't actually count as education at all.

SMU has a game programming program, as do Cal Tech, MIT and RPI. However, those colleges will cost you tens of thousands of dollars a year. If you can't afford the big names, look for a state college (a real one) which offers computer science. Take low-level comp sci if you want to be a game developer. Some graphics design and 3D work, but mostly C and C++.

Comments on this post

• ptr2void agrees
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Are there no community colleges near you? I would start with those. They are relatively cheap and can have some quality computer science programs.

Yeah, pigeon-holing yourself into Game programming might not be a good career strategy at this time.

Now, if you pideon-holed yourself into web or mobile development, those are not going away any time soon.
  11. Sarcky

those are not going away any time soon.
    Why does your crystal ball predict the demise of the game industry?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Why does your crystal ball predict the demise of the game industry?
    When I was planning my career back around 1985 I was discouraged from pursuing video game development as a career because, as we've clearly seen "it's just a fad like pop rocks, slime and stretch armstrong" ... very solid advice I got from my adult guidance gurus there ...
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  15. Sarcky

My father still says the internet is a fad, only useful for kids. When he quit his job, he actually drove to people's offices to hand in his paper resume. Even when I found his old job on monster.com and showed it to him, he said I had made it up, and the internet isn't for real business. I'll let Google know.

17. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    My stepmother never learned to use her cell phone. Her mindset what that you held it to your ear until you heard a dial tone, then you dialed. When she had a wreck she had to go to the nearest house and borrow a landline to call my Dad.

Games are here to stay. "Games programming" is no different than other programming that requires a good UI and some mathematical manipulations. If you view yourself as a "game programmer" instead of as a designer and implementor, then you're effed and you deserve the hole you dug for yourself.

Edit:
    Oh, I forgot to say that places like DeVry and Phoenix U are ripoffs. Sorry 'bout that.
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
    DaWei on Pointers Politically Incorrect.
  19. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Also are you looking to move to the West Coast or a place that is concentrated with game development companies? You're really entering a niche market and as Dawei said, essentially digging a rut. IT is used everywhere and there's always a demand for quality programmers anywhere. I'd say getting a Comp Sci degree or even just getting a programmer/analyst type degree from a local tech college is more solid than getting some niche "make money fast" degree from a diploma mill.
    Codeinated

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo