1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Difference between Web Development and Software Development

Sometime the things which we heard daily and also implement it in a daily basis, still we don't know exact meaning of it. here is the same thing happen with me.

can someone please help me to understand the difference between Web Development and Software Development?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Neither have precise definitions, but I would consider web development to be a subset of software development; ie: web development is software development that deals with powering a website.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Neither have precise definitions, but I would consider web development to be a subset of software development; ie: web development is software development that deals with powering a website.
    still not satisfied. guys post some proper explanation
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Usability and accessibility are probably different between web sites and web apps on one side and desktop apps on another and mobile device apps on yet another.

Also the languages used for web development vs desktop application development are often different. (I'm not going to mention specific languages because there are so many.)

I recommend you wait a few days and if no one gives you a better explanation here, go ask somewhere else (though I doubt anyone will improve on this much).
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    I tend to consider web development as something that involves a UI that the users interact with (i.e.) it involves HTML and javascript at some point. (PHP, perl, ruby, java etc. may be involved, but HTML/JS does enter into it at some point)

Software development is something that involves programming in general and not just a UI. For instance, I write a lot of backend processing jobs in perl and java (i.e. some of the same languages I mentioned as part of web development), which have no UI at all and do some major data crunching. I also write stuff in C which does serve up some HTML, but the majority of that code is really business logic and daemon code, so I consider that work more as generic software development than web development.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  11. Sarcky

"Software" is too broad of a subject anymore. We keep saying things like "software development" as if it has a strict definition, like "writing." Basically "writing" and "software development" have the same definition, just the language is changed.

If you asked someone what he did for a living and he said "I write," what would that mean to you? Is he a journalist? A columnist? A humorist? A cruciverbalist? A novelist? A biographer? Does he write the warning labels on children's toys? Does he write marketing copy for a large corporation? Does he write legal disclaimers? User's manuals? Technical documentation?

When someone says they're a software developer, you have to ask the same questions. Desktop programs? Games? Web programs? Flash apps? Phone apps? Drivers? Operating systems? Embedded control systems? If embedded control, is it robotics? Cash machines? Registers? Microwaves? Cars?

So in summary: "Software engineering" is a catch-all term that means "puts code on the screen which will probably be executed by a computer." Web programming is a specific kind of software engineering, one of thousands.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo