1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

difficulty with 'guest' wireless access

This is kind of a random question.....wasn't sure where else to put it.
    I occasionally work at a school district where I use my own laptop. I use their 'guest' wifi, and when I first get in, a window appears with a little box I have to check saying I agree to their policies.
    The problem is that often when I close up my laptop during the day and open it back up, that little window does not reappear, and I therefore cannot get back online. The wifi image will still have darkened lines, indicating that I am still connected, but when I try to visit a website it says I am not. Sometimes the agreement window thing comes back up when I reopen my laptop and then it works fine, but it is very hit and miss. (And I have tried restarting, that usually doesn't make the agreement window come up either).
    Does anyone know what this might have to do with? I asked one of the tech guys at one of the high schools, but he didn't seem to know why I wasn't getting the agreement request thing every time.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This would be something their admins would have to figure out. If rebooting doesn't help, you may want to just get your own hotspot and expense it to them, citing their network issues as the cause. Or plug in to the wall port, since it's a school.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DHCP leases sounds related

Renew your DHCP lease. You will find instructions on how to do this for your operating system by asking a search-engine for details.

If this does not work then you must contact the network administration.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo