1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to become an effective Spammer?

The Internet is full of advice on how to protect from Spam. But I couldn't find a tutorial on how to produce Spam.

Working on a project we sooner or later come to the issue of letting people know about it without their mail server declaring our introduction as Spam at first sight.

I have a couple of thousand potential email addresses in my database (mySQL) and could probably easlily send them all at once by looping them through the php mail function. But that would probably not be wise and even make my service provider to crash(?) or put sancions on my account.

So how is it done technically?
    I was thinking of making a loop with a delay so that every 5 seconds a mail is sent, but with so many in my database PHP would proably stop me after a short while.

How should the content look like?
    Of course potential Spam has also lots do to with the content. I'm thinking of sending pure text mails (no html, no images, no attachments etc.)

I welcome your suggestions and experiences - though nobody likes Spam, not even me
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you don't know how to do this then you should outsource the work to somebody else. Somebody with their own mail servers that handles subscribe/unsubscribe requests for you.

And really, you don't want to produce spam. Spam is unwanted and bad, and generally illegal. You want to use email marketing.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    If you don't know how to do this then you should outsource the work to somebody else. Somebody with their own mail servers that handles subscribe/unsubscribe requests for you.

And really, you don't want to produce spam. Spam is unwanted and bad, and generally illegal. You want to use email marketing.

Not sure, but where is the difference between what I want to do and "email marketing", or how do u define Spam? I mean if I get those countless emails I never asked for telling me about a new product.........is it now email marketing or spam?
  7. Did you steal it?

Moved to the Lounge.

Spam is bulk email that I don't want to receive. Email marketing is using email to market stuff that there's a good chance I'll be interested in.

For example, I have an account at ThinkGeek. Occasionally they send me emails about stuff they have for sale. That's email marketing because I actually might want the stuff. (Generally I do want it, even, but I don't want it enough to buy it.)
    If they sold my email address to somebody and they offered me, say, "v1gr4", that's spam because I don't want it. If they don't provide a way to remove me from their lists, and don't provide contact information, and don't meet a couple other requirements then it's illegal spam.
  9. Type Cast Exception

Also spam often hijacks other email accounts and servers and masks the true identity of the spammer (spoofing), where email marketing seeks to make the sender known. Spam also often contain offers that are blatantly illegal, or are attempting to gain information from you for illegal activity (siphoning your bank account) which again, email marketing is simply trying to sell something (legal) to a potentially legitimate customer.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  11. No Profile Picture

In a nutshell, the receiver of the email correspondence should have checked some box on your site or a hard copy paper at your place of business that stated they do not mind receiving email correspondence from you AND there needs to be a place in every message you send that allows the receiver to OPT OUT of future messages.

Just that simple, in my view. Anything else is not polite and if it's not polite it's not respectful and that's wrong in any business.

Respect is what it's all about and it seems there is less and less in the world these days. I have over half a century to compare past to present, if you're wondering how far back I go to be able to assert there seems to be less of the respect thing "these days".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo