1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to do well in Facebook hacker cup

Hi,
    I am totally new to computing but I would wish to acquire the expertise over the fields of studies required to do well in Facebook hacker cup. The other big event is Google code jam.

Where does the areas of study for the problems that surface in their questions come from. I know they are algorithmic problems but can it be more specific please? For example it comes from a field of discrete maths, unassumingly.

Are there any relevant books and tutorials to practise on to do well in events like Facebook Hacker Cup or Google Code jam, where to do well means being proficient in the questions and the answers to them.

Thank you for reading. Please reply.

From,
    Zinelkay
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sorry if I sounded ambiguous. I intend to study this field of knowledge(appearing in the questionnaire), so I can do it competitively.

What field of study does it fall under? Please reply. Thank you.
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The most basic answer is "advanced computer science." most of the participants in those events have masters' level grasp of multiple languages. Discrete math, yes, but also logic, AI programming, etc.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo