Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Warning: I can't read
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

File operations monitor software

Hello everyone!

We have an issue where people are deleting and moving files around in a shared drive. We're getting tired of going to tape back ups 3 times a week to restore them let alone the loss of work. I'm looking for a program that monitors the file activity that's going on, basically who is deleting/moving the files. ANyone have any recommendations. We're running Win Server 2003R2/2008

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Why not set the permissions to read only for general users?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  5. Type Cast Exception

Or, alternatively, establish a policy, hold a meeting, and then hold people accountable.

I deal with a lot of shares, shared by a lot of people all across the country and this isn't a problem here.

Comments on this post

• sizablegrin agrees
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

hold people accountable
    Pay attention, OP. A hit in the paycheck is often worth any number of abstruse technical solutions.
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  9. Warning: I can't read

they need access to folders so giving them speical permission isn't going to help. They do all their work in them, they add change move and delete files in there. The problem is someone is messing with the files. We don't know if it's on purpose or accidental. We need to first find out who's doing it before dealing with them. There's probably 40 people working 22 hours a day 6 days a week across 4 buildings, so we can't sit there and baby sit them.

Any suggestions on software? Once we catch them we will deal with them.
  11. Type Cast Exception

If I was working 132 hours of the available 168 hours in a week I'd be sabotaging your files too, maybe even on purpose.

Comments on this post

• misterdanny agrees
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. Warning: I can't read

Originally Posted by medialint
    If I was working 132 hours of the available 168 hours in a week I'd be sabotaging your files too, maybe even on purpose.
    Think i need a comma in there or something.

There 40 people that are working ~50 per week on different shifts totaling 22 hours a day 6 days a week.

but think of the overtime......
  15. No Profile Picture

How about Process Monitor with a custom filter applied? Not sure if that tracks the username though. There's loads via this search. I get that you want someone to say "I do this all the time and reckon product x is the bees knees" but sometimes you just have to search and try things you find. There's quite a few freeware apps via that search.
  17. Type Cast Exception

Well I don't think you need anything you don't already have can't you just turn on auditing and look at the server security logs? brief how to for 2008
    medialint.com

19. Warning: I can't read

Originally Posted by Tann San
    How about Process Monitor with a custom filter applied? Not sure if that tracks the username though. There's loads via this search. I get that you want someone to say "I do this all the time and reckon product x is the bees knees" but sometimes you just have to search and try things you find. There's quite a few freeware apps via that search.
    I was looking into that one. Yeah, Idealy it would be great to have someone say that app X is what you need, but I know that very few people probably face similar problems in the real world. Someone needs to create an IT baby sitter app I think sometimes. My boss wanted a few ideas since this is becoming a serious problem and not a little opps anymore. I don't know how much he'll love some freeware off the 'net, was going to give him some list of options.

Thanks everyone so far.
  21. Warning: I can't read

Originally Posted by medialint
    Well I don't think you need anything you don't already have can't you just turn on auditing and look at the server security logs? brief how to for 2008
    That's an option, but not sure on the effects on performance. We're running pretty heavy right now until the upgrades are in place.
  23. No Profile Picture

That's a better option than what I suggested.
  25. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I'm not necessarily recommending YOU do this, but this to me seems like an indicator that you're giving the employees (or whoever?) too much access. Even if you have everything written down how to store/access/update files on the shared directory, no one is going to follow it.

I ran into a similiar issue, with people creating csv files filled with information that needs to be put into the database. Everyone had their own idea of a good csv format, it took forever to go through the files one by one and fix em, and everyone complained about how long it took. So to solve the issue I created a small gui for everyone to submit their files through, if it didn't like the format it gave them a chance to correct it, if it did like it would go ahead and import into the database. Now things run smoothly.

Access restrictions aren't just about protecting information from outsiders, it's also about protecting information from yourselves.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

What about setting up a repository / version control? Sounds like you've got multiple people working on the same set of files...that's just what repositories are meant for.

You can track who changed what and when...though it does take up a fair bit more disc space.

Comments on this post

• misterdanny agrees : another good idea.
  29. Warning: I can't read

Originally Posted by ctardi
    What about setting up a repository / version control? Sounds like you've got multiple people working on the same set of files...that's just what repositories are meant for.

You can track who changed what and when...though it does take up a fair bit more disc space.
    We have something similar already at here, so we might be able to do this. I think the best solution would be the first thing I bought up when I got put in this postion, why are we using excel and access for database stuff. I'm going to see if we can finally move to a SQL server or oracle and create forms for them to use, no data would be available to the users other then inputting it (no drag and drop or delete abilitiy in windows explorer).
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo