1. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

3. phpkid ~~~~~~ :o)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Everything after snmn's reply to munkfish, things get bad and are actually more or less unrelevent. I would've answered munkfish the same way, 'cause I found it very unappropriate, especially when he is himself is talking about the "right way".
    Fine, let us agree that his post was irrelavant. But was that a way to reply ? using word such as a**hole . I don't think so. NO WAY.

One might disagree with someone, but we shoudl maintain respect to each other. Whether beginner or Pro !! Shouldnt we ?

and pabbloj, that wasn't the way to reply. lets have peace !!!

JD
  5. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

No, the a**hole word did, definently, not belong there.

Yes, we need the respect for each other. No matter of your status or skillset. I'm glad we got this straight here. I was getting a little worries there for a moment.
    Last edited by Datamike; December 7th, 2001 at 04:45 AM.
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  7. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Peace

I'm very sorry for my reaction, as I (shame on me!!!) stated we should try to be polite, but this case was incredible, she was criticized and alerted more than politely two or three times, her reaction has been to delete the thread and post another overexplained question.
    The thing that made me crazy is that she has asked something very close before, and that a search with the subject she used (at least it was on topic) produced the exact result in the top ten answers.
    There where simply no excuses but just a lack of respect for other people ... so I fell in a similar error and flamed.
  9. phpkid ~~~~~~ :o)

Originally posted by Datamike
    No, the a**hole word did, definently, not belong there.

Yes, we need the respect for each other. No matter of your status or skillset. I'm glad we got this straight here. I was getting a little worries there for a moment.
    hm...wish you were a girl and said that !!!!

JDK Status ::: 'Never been kissed' !!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD
  11. phpkid ~~~~~~ :o)

Hey datamike,

Thats cheating, you can't edit your post like that !!!!!

and pabloj its alright. sometimes one gets excited !! but as long as you accept mistake, everyone would be cool.

JD
  13. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally posted by jdk
    Hey datamike,

Thats cheating, you can't edit your post like that !!!!!
    Sure I can. That's what the edit -button is for
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  15. phpkid ~~~~~~ :o)

Do you know as a moderator I can edit your post and put up what you wrote originally ????

JD
  17. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Sometimes it all just gets too much, and you start hitting the keyboard in frustration and anger. When you're done, the result probably is a flaming reply to some post. I try to avoid such posts, though I totally understand and respect that, coz in most cases the person that creates such an reaction doesn't respect you or the other users hanging out here. By that I mean the way those people post and expect help or simply your attention.
    In this particular case, I can't see why she should be worthy of anyones respect. As pabloj says, she does the same thing over and over again, and can't even stand for what she have said (or posted) when she's being criticized. Talk about chicken...
    Sure, we all make mistakes and are able to change our mind, but you should at least be able to admit or regret your errors.

As for the ***hole thing, well what goes around comes around...

And JD, wouldn't that be abuse to edit Datamikes post again...

//NoXcuz
    UN*X is sexy!
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep
  19. phpkid ~~~~~~ :o)

Did I do anything ?

JD
  21. Newbie :P

Bah flame the newbies

At the end of the day it is common courtesy to follow forum rules for any forum and in my opinion we should not expect any less from newbies as we would a pro, because at the end of the day to assume that someone new to this forum has never used a forum before would be pretty dumb.

I flame, I admit I flame, but that doesn't mean I don't respect people because how can I respect someone I don't know. That isn't to say I don't respect anyone here because I do, people such as JD, John, Nox, freebsd etc all deserve respect for the huge amount of knowledge that they share with people.

If someone cannot stick to what I consider to be basic social net-etiquette then they deserved to be flamed, pure and simple.

I have been here for almost a year now and I have seen some pretty crazy stuff, but the thing that gets to me most is the fact that people come here and expect us to simply write code for them, they can't be bothered to learn themselves which is why they don't search and why they don't look through manuals.

I am willing to share my experience with people, but I will only share that experience with people who are trying to learn and who are not here for a cheap solution.

Bring on the flames!
    ---------------------
    -- SilkySmooth --
    ---------------------
    Proxy
  23. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Well spoken, Smooth!!!

For those who doesn't agree with that, follow the link in jd's post in the PHP forum about the 'how to post a question'-thread by JeffCT. Just read it and weep...

//NoXcuz
    UN*X is sexy!
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep
  25. phpkid ~~~~~~ :o)

That isn't to say I don't respect anyone here because I do, people such as JD, John, Nox, freebsd etc all deserve respect for the huge amount of knowledge that they share with people.
    i wonder if i can stand in line with freebsd and our other elite members. though you saying this made my night !! ( its evening and i am about to logofff for the day )

and yeah my post to JeffCT's thread points to a page which EVERYONE should read.I think one can really know new things if he follows this.

for those lazy people I will put up link once again !!

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Have nice time everybody,

JD
  27. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    Right now I am having a nice time watching little baby growing up, from birth to 6 months (as of last day), and I see her learning new things every day. As a matter of fact, she learn way way way more then I do at any given time, and that makes me proud of her. Yet, the same deal is with the 'newbies', they learn stuff, and you expect them to understand it as soon as possible. If the baby breaks something, I first say to her that this is not good - even though she does not understand the words, she does understand the tone I say them in. If she does that again, I probably think of punishing her, and then if she does it again and again purposefully, it is time for some extreme methods. Now tell me it is not the same thing with bad posters? It is rarely you will see guy who just registered and has only this one post having somebody starting a flame way becasue of the wrong title. Usually harsh replies are given to somebody who already has been warned and theoretically knows the consequences. Sometime you just have to punish kids for their own good, even when they do not understand why.
    I guess I am advocating flame posts and harsh replies. Yes I am. But they should be used with great caution so the person does not become an ***hole and does not look for dirt in each and every thread.
    Everything after snmn's reply to munkfish, things get bad and are actually more or less unrelevent. I would've answered munkfish the same way, 'cause I found it very unappropriate, especially when he is himself is talking about the "right way".
    In that one thread, I was trying to make things better, and I think I sort of succeded - even though my reply could be considered 'harsh'.
    And you know I mean that.
  29. Newbie :P

On another note I would just like to say that I don't consider these postings to be flames, in comparison to some forums I have been a part of (Sadly one great forum closed 2 days ago they would have laughed at you for considering these mild warnings as a flame.
    ---------------------
    -- SilkySmooth --
    ---------------------
    Proxy

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo