1. funky munky
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Datamike:
    Moreover, I though munkfish, himself, was acting more lika an ***. Why not mention to the man that he should next time take more care about posting questions in the right forum. But no.... Had to go flaming about.
    Sorry you thought that. I didn't think my answer merited being called an asshole though which was the main reason for the "flame" that followed.
  3. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Silky, once again I have to agree with you. I do not consider many of the posts here to be true *flames*. They might be harsh on occasion, but flames, not really... Most of them are quite innocent actually...

munkfish, I wouldn't wanna call you an ***hole for that reply. The man simply had it coming...

And Al, I should probaly congratulate you on the parenthood thing. Puts things in another perspective, right? I know, been there, done that... And I think you have a point there, you've gotta lead them in the right direction for their own good...

//NoXcuz
    UN*X is sexy!
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep
  5. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Okei, haven't been online during the weekend so I've missed some possibilities to reply. First things first.

munkfish: Note, only three asterisks, so you leave the "hole" out of it. And it was more like a figure of speech. Further more, I find it hilarious that so many are okei with the fact that it's okei to flame on newbies and use whatever language you can summon, but if he/she reponses to that he is immediately considered hostile and out of line. And yes, I found your comments (in that particular forum) unnessecery and out of order. But hey, that's just me...

If my comment was offensive to you, I do apologize. I was only trying to make a point.

In general if you want to change the behavior of the new users (which I'm not sure you can) you won't accomblish much with flaming. Take my word for it. It's just like NoXcuz, "what goes around, comes around".

I also respect many people here; AlCapone, JD, freebsd, NoXcuz, SepodatiCreations, etc. But still, that does not stop me from telling what I believe. All people (both good and great) make mistakes.

If you people wish to make things better, make them change. Flaming and gathering to bands against the new users won't do the trick. I actually have some good suggestions for that. One way would be to send the "This is how you post", by JeffCT along with the welcome e-mail, when people successfully register. And give an easy link to a page with that information already in the forum index.
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  7. funky munky

Datamike

All is peace... It's just I don't often take exception to posts that are misplaced or have bad subjects in them - as long as the content is good and the prob description sound. I think in that occasion I thought the guy could easily have found the solution on his own, can't be that hard finding out what the max filename len is (touch aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.file). Guess I should have been less sarcastic... enough of that already!!! '***' is kewl

OK I'm on a be nice to newbies mission from now on.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Canta como rafaé
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Do you know the difference between we pros and newbies? That most of the times we come to the forum without any question to do, and read the posts in order to find the solution to a problem that we do not have.

This way we are learning, and we know that, if ever needed, the solution IS in the forum, so we search for it. And we also learn from the common newbies mistakes.

And that's the difference. We want to learn, they want to get the code done. I never write exact code in my replies to make people suffer a little to get the answer. I think that from now on, I'll make my explanations like this:

Code:
    $tmpfile  // here you have the file
    // copy the file to another location
    // open a file descriptor for it
    // search line by line
    if (ereg (the_word_you_are_looking_for)) break;

// Don't forget to close it !!

By the way, some time ago I asked to Devshed admins to create a forum about algorithms and programming techniques, in which to held questions like "how to build an i18n system for a website" ?

What happened ? Don't you find it useful ?
    Thrasher

'Y se ahogaron los dooos
    No eran duros pa pagar, cuñaaoo !!'
    El vagamundo - El risitas y su cuñao
  11. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me

[OT]

By the way, some time ago I asked to Devshed admins to create a forum about algorithms and programming techniques, in which to held questions like "how to build an i18n system for a website" ?
    Hey, that sounds like a great idea. Could be even interesting for you pros. Mods, what do you think?
  13. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Use that little Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and let them know what you want...

---John Holmes...
  15. No Profile Picture
    Canta como rafaé

I did

And I received answer from you, redirecting my mail to webmaster@devshed.com. I'm surprised that devshed admin is mute, so I sent you 'cause you are something more than most of us.

I think it can be interesting, and opening a new forum shouldn't be any trouble, is it?
    Last edited by Thrasher; December 10th, 2001 at 11:22 AM.
    Thrasher

'Y se ahogaron los dooos
    No eran duros pa pagar, cuñaaoo !!'
    El vagamundo - El risitas y su cuñao
  17. Banned (not really)

no...it takes all of two minutes....I just don't have those privs.

Send an email again, and anyone else interested do the same thing...

I don't think it would generate much traffic, though...maybe that's why they're not doing it.

---John Holmes...
  19. funky munky

I think you've raised a very interesting question here about why most of us 'pros' () come visit the boards and help out when we seldom have our own problems to ask about.

Personally I agree with you - I like the challenges posed by some of the questions raised on the boards (particularly on the PHP board), and I like solving the problems - or at least trying to . I also like the idea that in the future someone with a similar problem would be able to search the forum and find a well written and easy to follow solution. Ok, no solution is every 'exclusively' 100% perfect for any given problem, but I like the thought that I can help someone else out along the line.

And what you say about 'teasing' users, giving 'pseudocode' or such like... the way I go about dealing with the thought 'mmm, do I want to give this person something for nothing' is as follows - when I find a problem posted that seems to be mentioned quite a bit, I'll put a bit of effort in to solve the prob and comment the code thoroughly inside out and then save the code. This way the solution makes more sense to the poster and with a bit of luck I'll eventually get around to uploading these small snippets of script to a site and making them into a coding tutorial gallery. Eventually

Sounds like a good idea about the coding tips and tecniques though, would this be language independent?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me

Language independence

Good point. If it's language independant, it's either some sort of graph or a vague description. Graphics are (almost) impossible to implement in this case and
    Code:
    [...] Well, you loop and 
    loop once more inside the first loop and then 
    check the counter var and 
    whether [...]
    is not really clear to newbies. I know what it says because I wrote it and most (or all) of you know because you are pros, but the "I've just been told about PHP, how can I do this" ppl won't. :-(

So it's got to be some kind of programming language. And since real pseudocode is actually sometimes harder to read than a script language, we may as well use one of those. So the choice is narrowed to PHP and JavaScript, which are similar in the general structure ("for", "while", "if" and the operators). Of course, pseudofunctions could be used to keep the algorithm short. Sort of
    PHP Code:
    //how to get a number and display it increased by 2
    $number input"Enter a number." ); //pseudofunction but it's clear what it does
    $number $number 2;
    echo 
    "The number is " $number//note the non-PHP syntax 
    Btw, isn't it time to start a new thread (and vote?) on this matter?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Gringo

Don't mean to beat the fish with a dirty towel but...

I'm an older newbie here And don't find people to be rude or anything. This is a message board not a commercial help desk. I've asked what? 160 questions and maybe helped 20 people, maybe? I'd love to help more and sometimes I'll research the manual and do some testing to figure out the answer myslef then post it but that's only when I have a few hours to do this.

munkfish, SepodatiCreations, and others has helped me so much in the past year. I do search and read before posting a question 99.9% of times and it's not hard to do.

I try my best to respect the members here because they do help out and they don't have to at all! The least we can do to thank them as newbies to programming is to respect the members of this board. And if they ask for; clear titles, accurate questions, and for me to RTFM. I will.

Well I will take the oppurtunity to thank all those who help out and I swear once I become a PHP guru I will continue to come here and help other newbies

My .02 CANADIAN cents!

P.S. I missed the point again did I? Oh well...
    Still don't know how to do a "Hello World"?
  25. funky munky

realnowhereman - yeah I'm not quite sure what Thrasher meant I guess by a forum for 'algorithms and coding techniques' - Thrasher? Maybe you should open a new thread about it?

Your snippet up there realnowhereman reminds me of when I tried to explain to someone recently how regular expressions work in plain english, quite a task.
  27. Banned (not really)

The problem with psuedocode is that newbies probably don't know what you mean by psuedocode...

If you post
    PHP Code:
    if(check_input() == "good')
    {
      good_input();
    }
    else
    {
      bad_input();

you'll get the newbie posting back:
    Now I get Error: Undefined function check_input() ... help?!?!?
    I pretty much give the code they need...even try to use their table names and functions, if i can...that way there's no confusion. And i always try to put "Adapt to your needs" with it...

---John Holmes...
  29. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Gringo

I get a parse error "good' hehe

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo