1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

flash detection doesn't work for NS4.7

I have never dealt with flash before so please bear with me.
    I know similar questions are being asked quite often, but searching the forum didn't help me find the answer to my particular problem.
    No matter what kind of flash detection script I find and try to use, NS4.7 redirects me to a "no flash page". I have tried numeros suggestions I found in archives of this and some other web forums, but had absolutely no luck with them working in NS4.7.
    I have written to my isp and they claim it isn't thier problem since it works in the rest of the browsers (ie, opera and mozilla. I have only tested in ie. they claim to also test it in opera and mozilla).
    I know for sure I have a flash plug in for my NS. It is listed in the list of plugins, and ... the pages work from my hd. But once I publish them on the server, I just keep getting to th e"no-flash" page.
    I am working on this problem for 2 days now and am out of idea to try.

Anybody knows the workaround???
    Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Have the viewer go to the "no flash plug-in" page by default. On that page, place a 1 x 1 pixel Flash movie that redirects you to the Flash content (that is the only purpose of this movie).
    Michael
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Michael,
    thanks for such a quick reply. This seemed like the easiest thing to do, so that was my first shot. I had no luck with it and then went to venture into more searches and more tries to make it work, but it still was the same.
    I keep working on the problem and narrowed it down to just trying to display a single page containing flash. Here is my progress (it is almost no progress, but i think I have narrowed it down):
    It all just seemed too weird and I decided to publish the pages on my own web site: http://www.dancingfantasy.com/flash/intro.htm and it worked perfectly. I got even more puzzled and published the same pages on my geocities account: http://www.geocities.com/valeria_vi/flash/intro.htm and ... it worked as well! It doesn't work on my company's web site: http://www.nimlok.com/flash/intro.htm - I am being asked to download a plugin.
    I have opened a ticket with our isp and they are trying to claim it isn't their problem. How can it not be if the EXACT same pages work fine when published on other servers (even on free geocities!)???!!!
    My own web site is run on Windows, I don't know about geocities. The company's web site is on Unix. Can it possibly be the problem? There are so many web sites that are being run on Unix, so it is hard for me to believe that noone have noticed this before (anf flash is pretty popular nowdays). However, it is the only thing that comes to my mind right now.
    Have anyone had this happen to him/her???
    Any tips, suggestions, anything... pleeeeaaase

Valeria
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

for tose who are interested, I have solved the problem and posted about it at Flash, NS4.7 and my server

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo