1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Flowchart programs for event-driven code?

Are there any programs that are suited for event-driven code?

Also, is there an easy way to get the shapes need for a condition all at once? (A Diamond with connectors on 2 of its points, and possibly 2 rectanglular boxes)?

I have Visio 2000.
    If it can't be done out of the box, how would one go about creating code that would do this for you if say.. shift was pressed when you added a diamond?

Would getting Visio 2002 help?

And one last question... does anyone know how to change the shape of a shape? I don't mean changing it's points through drawing, but just changing the preset shape to another preset shape. Like a parallelogram to a rectangle?
  3. Big Endian
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'm not sure if I really understand what you are trying to do so I don't know if this is a good answer to your question.

If I was going to produce a flowchart based upon user actions (key presses, mouse clicks, etc.) and I needed to programatically change shapes from one shape to another, I would write a program that used a flowchart control that I had complete control over through an API.

For example: http://www.lassalle.com/features.htm

Based upon the actions of the user, I would send commands to the control to produce the flowchart.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was asking different questions, but they all pertained to program design.

I was talking about an environment that would help you design your program. With standard flowcharting, I don't know how you would show your event that triggers your code, it seems like it's mainly used for langauges that do not have events. I was wondering if there was something that works better.

Maybe there isn't anything developed like this. But say you had code that would print a report when a button is clicked. How would you flowchart the OnClick Event?

I will try to clearify again if necessary.
  7. Big Endian

My mistake. I read your question backwards and thought you were trying to use code to produce a flowchart. Instead you want to flowchart a program design and have the code generated for you.

I think you would want to look for UML tools or the UML features of Visio. Visio Professional & Enterprise have it (click here). Or you could look at something open source like Dia (click here). If you're awash in cash, you could always try Rational's products (click here).

I've never used these, so I can't give you any good advice.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was hoping there was a software to develop (quicker) flowcharts that give a better representation of the events of a program. It seems that that isn't a valuable solution for coders or it would be more widespread.

I will check those out!

Thank you.
  11. Big Endian

Depending on what language you're programming in, here's a screenshot of what Visio can do for you (open the attached .jpg).
    Attached Images
  13. Big Endian

You might want to look at some of the software described at the following link to see if any of it suits your needs. Several have the ability to reverse-engineer code and produce diagrams:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/software-en...section-4.html

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo