1. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Just taking advantage of this space to let you know, you may have given up looking for ET in favor of protein folding, but while your machine is doing that you can look at photos and try to find the space dust ... :-)
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  3. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

Originally Posted by Tim's link
    can name it, ... but it can't be obscene
    interest.notion=-(infinity)

OK well that's a lie, I'd be a bit interested, ... but would I be interested enough? now there's a good question IMO
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  5. Type Cast Exception

To be honest, I have no plans to scan those photos either. I'll leave that to the kids that have nothing better to do and better eyesight (even if they are all stone deaf from those iPods and whatever that stuff is they call music).

Besides the spacecraft needs to make it to Utah on sunday with its 45 specks of dust safely intact before any of this can take place.

However, it strikes me that a computer itself with good image analyzing software might be best suited to actually do this task, not people ...
    Last edited by medialint; January 12th, 2006 at 07:12 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    However, it strikes me that a computer itself with good image analyzing software might be best suited to actually do this task, not people ...
    They can't afford such things. They must rely on free labor from thousands of people with nothing else to do.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  9. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by kicken
    They can't afford such things.
    The Stardust Mission, maybe not, but UC Berkeley can ... if not just sell more sports stuff and there's always this little project they can probably borrow a few computers from ;-)
    medialint.com

11. Anal Purist
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

OK, so I've been happily leaving my 3 year old laptop [which had no issues whatsoever] to fold while I've been out at work, and suddenly something's fried. I'm not sure if it's the hardisk MOBO or what (I'm not extremely familiar with the workings of hardware) but it's only happened "coincidentally" since I installed Folding @ Home!
    We are troll foldy-rolls and we'll eat you for our supper.
  13. sleeping guru
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Grafmix
    OK, so I've been happily leaving my 3 year old laptop [which had no issues whatsoever] to fold while I've been out at work, and suddenly something's fried. I'm not sure if it's the hardisk MOBO or what (I'm not extremely familiar with the workings of hardware) but it's only happened "coincidentally" since I installed Folding @ Home!
    coincdentally...well if you had just left it on without it folding it may have fried too as it is not used to being left on
  15. Anal Purist

No, it's been regularly left on... I dunno, it's probably got something to do with that time I tripped on some crazy paving while I was purging a drive with my eyes closed
    We are troll foldy-rolls and we'll eat you for our supper.
  17. sleeping guru
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Grafmix
    No, it's been regularly left on... I dunno, it's probably got something to do with that time I tripped on some crazy paving while I was purging a drive with my eyes closed
    that mite not do it any good
  19. Type Cast Exception

When I run FAH my CPU temp increases by a significant amount. I can see this being a problem in a laptop always on and always running FAH. Though my Dell was assigned to this task for a while and handled it without issue. Now it's back to it's usual role as paperweight/waste of money/dust collector.
    medialint.com

21. Infernal Technomancer

Go into the configuration, under Advanced settings and set the CPU usage percentage down, say 70% or even 50%. It won't fold as quickly, but your temps will go down.
    Asker of questions and all-around annoying guy.

For difficult hardware problems, go to the Hard Side™-- DevHardware Forums
  23. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by Dngrsone
    Go into the configuration, under Advanced settings and set the CPU usage percentage down, say 70% or even 50%. It won't fold as quickly, but your temps will go down.
    Yeah I've seen the config setting but I was just speculating on why it might have (contributed to) frying a laptop ;-) It seems the laptop was probably prone to blink out anyway though.
    medialint.com

25. No Profile Picture
    Brony & F/OSS Advocate

Ok so I got kinda bored, and made a nice little Fedora bootup script for F@H and it seems to work well for me. Note that it's probably quite kludgy, as I'm used to Gentoo's initscript style a lot more than I am Fedora's (always learning ). You can download it here, and save it to /etc/rc.d/init.d/foldingathome, then edit the path info and whatnot, then add it to your default startup and start it:
    Code:
    # wget -O /etc/rc.d/init.d/foldingathome http://peter.ramshacklestudios.com/downloads/fedora/rc.d-foldingathome
    # $EDITOR /etc/rc.d/init.d/foldingathome
    (change the path information as needed)
    # chkconfig foldingathome on
    # service foldingathome start
    Have a nice day, all!

(Updated to version 0.3, which removes the unneeded LOGFILE stuff.)
    Last edited by codergeek42; January 15th, 2006 at 12:55 PM.
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  27. Retired

I have just completed 50 WUs.

I have been doing this for months, not sure what the specs are for my PC, but it is folding as a windows service all the time, but the count doesn't seem to be going up very quickly. Would changing the priority of the service make a difference do you think or are there any other tips to improve performance other than the ones already listed?

Cheers,
    Jamie

>_ skiFFie ? | Twitter

Let the might of your compassion arise to bring a quick end
    to the flowing stream of the blood and tears .....
    Please hear my anguished words of truth.

29. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

Originally Posted by jabba_29
    I have just completed 50 WUs.

I have been doing this for months, not sure what the specs are for my PC, but it is folding as a windows service all the time, but the count doesn't seem to be going up very quickly. Would changing the priority of the service make a difference do you think or are there any other tips to improve performance other than the ones already listed?
    50 WUs and still only one lil protein chain? Can anyone tell me the ranking system?
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo