1. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The unit size doesn't always correlate to how fast it folds, but I think you'll find that the longer it does take the more "points" you get for your WU, in other words the ones that require more processing will be worth more points but this isn't really determined by the WU size.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  2. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Yea, your probably right, and I dread the WU that has 3000 points and folds slow. But since my last post I already got another 50 points
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  3. Type Cast Exception

I usually average 6,000-8,000 a month. Currently I only have one computer folding, a core 2 duo 3.2. Eventually I'll get it going on my v64 quad core again.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  4. Eager to learn

Do you keep your computer on overnight?
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  5. Type Cast Exception

24/7 except on hot days. I turn folding off when I'm playing games though, and it looks like I probably forgot to turn it back on after the weekend ... oh well ...
    medialint.com

6. Eager to learn

Haha, I just keep my laptop in the basement where it's always cold/cool. Why turn it off when playing games. It uses spare CPU cycles so it shouldn't slow any programs correct?

- marnixR
  7. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

When playing games that require the purchase of a $200+ graphics card, you want every edge you can get. Most "gamers" will strip non essential services off the machine so that no other processes can hold back their games.

There is a claim that you can actually run up an XP box with no processes in task manager, have never tried it though
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  8. Eager to learn

That's some hardcore gaming. There are only 2 games I can think of where "every CPU cycle would count". But I have new update on folding. Currently 2174/2500 and I'm leaving it on overnight. Hopefully when I wake up this system will have updated itself so I can enter in my folding ID.

Hell, even Unreal Tournament lags with all the auto-aim hacks people use..

- marnixR
  9. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

It obviously takes a lot of processing power if a frame has beaucoup pixels. In view of the experiences of the film and TV industries, however, one might question the validity of pushing frame rates beyond, say, 60 fps.
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  10. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

<offtopic>
    If you think in terms of Hertz, a refresh rate of 60Hz on your CRT monitor or television will most likely leave you with a headache after a while, that's why modern display devices implement rates as high as 120Hz to make the viewing process more enjoyable. This, of course, has little to no impact on LCD based devices where displays no longer flicker but "ghost".

As to in-game frame-rate: There is of course a cap to what the human eye can perceive and many console games aim for a consistent 60 frames per second. Yet you will definitely notice the difference between 120 and 60 frames per second as the image simply transitions smoother, although there would be no reason for rendering more frames than the monitor can display per second (refresh rate in Hertz).

There are many techniques in real-time graphics to make the user's viewing experience as comfortable as possible, including double/triple buffering vertical synchronization and more.

If your monitor only supports a 60hz refresh rate, you can use the remaining GPU cycles to increase the fidelity of the game since you won't be able to see any frames over 60 frames per second.
    </offtopic>

In any case, fold to cure. Just installed F@H on my laptop, now have 2 Xeons folding 24/7 plus the new device.
  11. Eager to learn

Ok, I now OFFICIALLY just completed my first WU, and now according to the site, it should update within 1-2 days so I just have to sit back and wait
    In any case, fold to cure
    Amen

[edit]
    @ comment

I do recall drug users experiencing a similar feeling..

Comments on this post

• Thr3ddy agrees : You'll remember your "first" for the rest of your life. The ones after that are desperate attempt to regain that feeling just once more..
    Last edited by EricReese; April 30th, 2009 at 12:36 AM.

- marnixR
  12. Type Cast Exception

My current every day build is two years old and it's a micro-atx build (in one of these cute little cases). Let me say this: I'm done with micro. I live in an attic so hot days require shut down so as to avoid frying the thing. As far as gaming, yeah I shut down everything I can. One thing I play a lot is sim city (currently Societies Destinations) so once I get a million people or so I want every cycle of the clock I can get my hands on.
    Last edited by medialint; April 30th, 2009 at 02:03 AM.
    medialint.com

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    My current every day build is two years old and it's a micro-atx build (in one of these cute little cases). Let me say this: I'm done with micro. I live in an attic so hot days require shut down so as to avoid frying the thing. As far as gaming, yeah I shut down everything I can. One thing I play a lot is sim city (currently Societies Destinations) so once I get a million people or so I want every cycle of the clock I can get my hands on.
    How is Societies Destinations anyways?

The last one I really played was Sim City 2000, but 3000 and a few of the random ones later never really had the same feel for me.
  14. Eager to learn

My first WU had 2500 points on it, unfortunately the page has not updated yet :/

Next WU- 250 points. Status: 5/250

- marnixR
  15. 63 dorinte
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Your stats on EOC are at this link. Note that your user number at EOC is 449898. This is the number you need to enter here at Devshed in your user CP to get your results to show in your info.

Also note that that work unit you returned was worth 84 points. The 'points' you have been referring to are actually the frames, or number of steps in the work unit EDIT: Perhaps what you were referring to was the number of atoms in the simulation, as most work units are 100 frames /EDIT. You can look up the information for your work unit by its 4-digit number (2671, for example) on the project summary page.

And thanks for contributing .

Ben N1NP
    Last edited by n1np; April 30th, 2009 at 01:13 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo