1. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    Why is that www.devshed.com is down more often then forums.devshed.com?
    And you know I mean that.
  3. No Profile Picture
    wuz here
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I know, how about a "all hail z-lite" day, where all the programmers hold a 1-hour ceremony to praise his l33tness. Well, what do you think?
    z-lite was here
  5. No Profile Picture
    wuz here

Originally posted by DJdrenaline
    And the other thing, the brown is just ugly.
    I'm strangely drawn to it's presence...
    z-lite was here
  7. Mobbing Gangster

Originally posted by z-lite
    I know, how about a "all hail z-lite" day, where all the programmers hold a 1-hour ceremony to praise his l33tness. Well, what do you think?
    uuhmm... I know!! How'bout "all woooop @$$ u can do 2 z-lite" day?

And give us back your source!
  9. Mobbing Gangster

In private messaging menu, you dont have any values in drop down list except 'tracking'. That is 2 blanks and 1 line.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Web Weaver
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally posted by AlCapone

2Spyder (Cameron?), nuh that won't be a very good idea (dividing forums in subforums). Only handfull of users will follow that gudiline, but majority will just ingore it. Plus I think most questions cannot really be defined by any particular topic, especially those where discussion contineus with something different from what it started with. And another con is that separation will make forums difficult to navigate.

On the other hand, the way andnaess suggested to do that seems to be a little better solution, but still, who's gonna determine which question goes where? Everyone has his own opinion what is 'newbe question' and what is 'advanced question'
    Good point about quoting.
    I don't see exactly how either of those ideas is that different... If you are worried about extra links we have to click then the from page of the forum could be modified so that it shows all the subforums and people can jump right to them.

The links I gave before won't work right now because we are having to rebuild the server but the subforum idea is a good way of organising things...

Getting people to post in the right forums is a problem anyway and adding extra categories might make this more of a problem BUT I think it would be ok if the moderators kept an eye on things... That is partially what a moderator should do anyway

My 2c...

btw, AlCapone, are you the same guy that e-mailed my about my site?
    Never say never.
  13. No Profile Picture
    rubbish in javascript

>Devshed has became political.
    >Why not invite Cyber cop or how about a Judge?
    >Why not just deal with it......... Rules? screw it!

don't have any comment on whether its political or not thats not the issue, but i think the basic idea this person was getting accross is a good one ie that too many rules will make devshed an unpleasent place to post to!

for example that idea of forcing *newbies* to read the guidelines before they are allowed to post is terrible, i cant think of anything more daunting than if this situation was so when i first used forums (not just devshed)

the idea of turning to a forum for beginners is usually a last resource as they think people will not answer anyway and its a waste of time so to make them read pages of rules and guideliness, maybe even the faq's on top of that will certainly make them click out of the site, counter-productive for you and not very helpfull for them

lets be honest people are here for help, or to give help, anything apart from that, sharing of new info, techniques, meeting people etc is a plus. if you happen to be beyond the help of the forum and rest here its because you want to, to help others then a part of that is accepting new comers and their same old questions asked millions of times, part of human contact only so many questions can be asked!!

apart from that i would say devshed is by far the best forum i have used, fast responses, good documentation and search capabilities. the only thing i can think of that might be a small improvement is the possibility of replies to a thread being sent directly by mail, not just the link!!

a+
    Garrett
  15. Mobbing Gangster

2Spyder: well, when man is right he's right. Its just tha I dont want that division by sub-topics...uhm..probably someone does.
    >>btw, AlCapone, are you the same guy that e-mailed my about my site?
    Yes, that would be me - thought I'd call you by your name (be the only one to do that), but when I finished posted I saw your name in the sig and smiled
    How come I haven't seen your around on devshed?

Admins, would you fix that member list numbering I was talking about...
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh please don't start this. Just because you don't follow the guidelines when you post questions and people get frustrated doesn't mean devshed has become political. That has nothing to do with anything.
    Like some cheese with that wine?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Garrett_44

Garrett_44

Because I am killing time and I am real bored; why do you believe someone would even bother reading?

How many read terms when filling out a forum? most just click agree.

Freedom of speach: say what you like, when you like, where you like. Then again your a grown up so you know what can & can't be said!

As of politacal statement: group of people making rules for others.

Devshed is doing well, why change a good thing
  21. Mobbing Gangster

>>Freedom of speach: say what you like, when you like, where you like.
    but who will promise freedom after it's been said....
  23. No Profile Picture
    wuz here

This forum is getting out of control, I think we should have a category called "Praise his l33tness" and everyone can post how wonderful I am and how my PHP coding owns all.

Problem solved.
    Last edited by z-lite; October 28th, 2001 at 12:09 PM.
    z-lite was here
  25. Mobbing Gangster

wow... z-lite... I am speechless... the way you have it all figured out...wheww... u r da man!.... yeah.... your code... oowww...its just way toooo cool for everyone....
    so, your l33tness, could you grant me one favor....yeah.... would you plz hang yourself somewhere....some where high...you highness.....

Guys, c'mon, lets cut to the point and post only relative info here, ok?
  27. No Profile Picture
    wuz here

Well, I believe that if you are going to make forum suggestions, make them at the source of the monster: http://www.vbulletin.com.

Now as for how this thread about forum suggestions turned into the 2000 election, my mind is blank.

Freedom is something that everyone takes a different way. The freedom to say "I am going to kill the president" will get you arrested or worse but the way I see it, freedom is being able to live a life where you are not threatening anyone or being threatened and be able to carry out daily life tasks without having a police man following you around or living with you and asking why am you're on www.2600.com.
    z-lite was here
  29. No Profile Picture
    rubbish in javascript

>Because I am killing time and I am real bored; why do you believe someone >would even bother reading?

i dont but this enforces what i was saying, why stress people out with that (especially newcomers), take the time to modify devshed to get all that to work when both you and i agree that people will click through anyway.

>How many read terms when filling out a forum? most just click agree.

not many, that is those who are used to forums!! people new to forums, new to the internet (yes there are still some), or new to computers are more likely! most people in that situation tend to read contracts before they sign as they think its like in the real world *you could be signing your life away* and so are cautious, due to the length normally of terms and conditions this will just be intimidating!

a+
    Garrett

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo