Thread: C/C++/C# forums

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally posted by andnaess
    Eh... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Devshed.com a site geared towards webdevelopment? Since when did C/C++ become languages for web development? And how the hell can you create a forum for C# and C/C++ when C# probably has more in common with Java than the two others?!

Okei, usually I wouldn't argue about the matter but this time I'll give it a try. C++ can be used to create CGI scripts. For an example, Matt's Script Archive contains a few. C++ is often also used to in replacement for Perl. In some tasks, C++ is more affective than Perl, but still you can write a "raw version" of the script in Perl and then convert it to C++. This should be rather easy, since Perl was originally influenced by C++. And there's nothing wrong with putting up multible forums on the matter. Cprogramming.com has done this. I only brought it up this way for the simplicity of expressing it. For the matter of web development, C# actually is design for that, in .NET enviroment of course.

There has been a lot of debate of to what C# actually is related to. Perhaps more to Java, but it has also been described to be an improved version of C++. An article, which I read from a finnish computer magazine, said just this.
    Last edited by Datamike; January 8th, 2002 at 02:50 AM.
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Well, I don't consider the backend for Google to be webdevelopment, even though it's used in a web context. Would you say that MySQL is a product of webrelated development just because it's heavily used on the web?

I guess it's a matter of definitions, but I would say that webdevelopment is about websites and the frontend of systems. If you create a brand new webshop I wouldn't say that the logistics software is part of the webdevelopment, the code that builds the webshop (relying on the logistics app) however is.

I don't see how you'd dump C and C++ in one forum, to be honest. They're different.
    Indeed, but similiar enough to be in the same forum until traffic picks up (which I don't expect it to). After all, C++ is C with some OO and some extra specialities. C# has only it's syntax in common with C and C++, it's semantics and structure is much more similiar to Java.

Originally posted by daholygoat

Well, we have PHP newsgroups as well, so why are we posting on here in the first place? You can't slag this forum off /that/ easily..
    True, but PHP is a new kid on the block, and most of it's users are used to webforums. I've checked out the PHP groups and the level there is pretty much the same as here. With C/C++ this is a totally different story...

This was just meant as an advice to aspiring C/C++ programmers -- there's nothing like learning from the masters.
    --
    Regards
    André Nęss

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be having fun
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by Datamike

Okei, usually I wouldn't argue about the matter but this time I'll give it a try. C++ can be used to create CGI scripts. For an example, Matt's Script Archive contains a few. C++ is often also used to in replacement for Perl. In some tasks, C++ is more affective than Perl, but still you can write a "raw version" of the script in Perl and then convert it to C++. This should be rather easy, since Perl was originally influenced by C++. And there's nothing wrong with putting up multible forums on the matter. Cprogramming.com has done this. I only brought it up this way for the simplicity of expressing it. For the matter of web development, C# actually is design for that, in .NET enviroment of course.

There has been a lot of debate of to what C# actually is related to. Perhaps more to Java, but it has also been described to be an improved version of C++. An article, which I read from a finnish computer magazine, said just this.
    Well, yeah, but if you still write CGI using C++ you are in dire need of a mental check

If there is a good community at cprogramming.com, I see no reason why you need a forum here at devshed, it's much better to have one good community for C there, and one good for PHP and other more pure web technologies here rather than having two mediocre communities.

As for what C# is related to, this is obvious; Java stole most of it's syntax from C/C++, and came up with plenty of enhancements, C# then enter as a ripoff from Java, extending it in some areas. C# works in much the same way as Java (a sort of Virtual Machine, a bytecode language). C++, C# and Java own most of their syntax and many of the ideas to Mr. Brian Kernighan and Mr. Dennis Ritchie (are they sirs? They should be anyway )

And C# is most similiar to Java since it's the closest "ancestor".
    --
    Regards
    André Nęss

7. Web Developer

Well, yeah, but if you still write CGI using C++ you are in dire need of a mental check
    I take that as a complement

If there is a good community at cprogramming.com, I see no reason why you need a forum here at devshed, it's much better to have one good community for C there, and one good for PHP and other more pure web technologies here rather than having two mediocre communities.
    Well, first all, I though this kind of discussion would be done before creating the forum. I only came up with the idea one day in the shower and thought I'd share it with other members of the community. And I don't actually see what harm such a forum can do. After all C++ is the mother of many web technologies and is used in backend of many web sites (if not in the pages themselves). You do have a MySQL forum, though it basicly has nothing to do with web pages, but instead it's run on the background. It's also always hard to shift and enter communities. I know some people here and I like them. I also like the general enviroment of the Devshed forums. It's one of the reasons why I hang out here and not that much in Evilwalrus or Tutorialforums. When this all is put together, it made perfect sense to suggest a forum.
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh well, it's not that important, I just need to stay awake for a couple of more hours so that I can get back to a normal pattern of sleep. Discussing stuff is a good way to stay awake (at least if coupled with several pots of coffee )

I guess I'm just used to the bureaucratic process of creating a new usenet group, which normally takes a couple of weeks and involves public votes and typically mile-long discussions
    --
    Regards
    André Nęss

11. Web Developer

Cool Coffee is good

Yeah well, if also others enjoy the forum, then I'm happy. I didn't suggest it for my amusement. I've actually never used usenet groups, or any news groups for that matter (don't know why, never found the need I guest) but that's kinda what I was expecting. Anyway, this has been a nice little debate. I hope we take a re-run some day
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well there are of course always way to prevent a forum from succeeding, if you put enough effort into it.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Since when did C/C++ become languages for web development

Get real !

You can have direct access to your C++ binaries using PHP's passthru function which is an excelent way of using C++ for your web stuff

Oh BTW im celebrating a new arival...
    Linux ..eee

Mark
    now uses "bryce" power
    100 trillion calculations per nanosecond
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo