1. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Lightbulb Forums Around the Realms

Has anyone noticed how popular many forums have become? They are everywhere. Any site, with server-side support, can host a forum these days. And not only that, most of the sites like the idea od using "certain forums only". Forums like openBB, phpBB, and vBulletin are extremely popular.

I know they are all great pieces of software, with tons of features and option, but doesn't anyone wanna be a little bit original?

Why not make your own forum? I find it to be a fun and challenging idea. Any comments on this?
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Python Prophet
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I've made a forum before, and I'm developing a new one using XML/XSL-FO. I can't tell you a lot about it now, I'm in a hurry, but I'll explain some more later.
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think I know, I'll use regular expressions. Now they have two problems. - Jamie Zawinski, in comp.lang.emacs
  5. phpkid ~~~~~~ :o)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

i think making a FORUM is a great idea if you want to learn PHP, Perl or some other scripting language. FORUM is such a application where you would have to use a lot of features of the particular language and you learn a lot.

but otherwise, making a FORUM which is competative to say vB...hm.... i think you got to work very very hard.

jd
  7. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    like jdk said, writing a forum is probably one of the best tutorials you can get, and I myself have written one in perl and one in php, both with mysql base. That was long long time ago when I was just starting, but they came out no worse then first vbulletein ones (in fact way better).
    Yet, the solution to forum problem is simple, yes you could write your own, but it is more convinient just to take already written and modify it to fit your needs.
    Why reinvent the wheel?
    And you know I mean that.
  9. Web Developer

Originally posted by AlCapone
    Why reinvent the wheel?
    I see your point. But my intention wasn't to raise a question of competitive forums. I'm thinking you need to be a pretty good if you want come up with a better forum than phpBB or vB. My point was to raise a question about forums in "private use". When you think of it, a forum doesn't necesserily need so many functionalities as vB has today. A good forum can be simple.

So in a sense I'm not talking about reinventing the wheel, just making your own version of the wheel...
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

11. No Profile Picture
    Python Prophet
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally posted by AlCapone
    Why reinvent the wheel?
    Because vBulletin or phpBB do not have all the functions that are needed. For example, at gathering.tweakers.net there are some features that are not found in vBulletin. It works on Topix.
    - Giving access to forums according to number of posts.
    - Showing the latest active topics excluding certain forums you don't want to see(not implemented in Topix either)
    - Really high performance.(about 30000 users, of which 10000 active in a week)

I'm writing a new forum myself now, using XML/XSL, because there are no forums doing this yet. I use XML for easy integration with another project a friend of mine is working on, a sort of update tracker for forums and websites. He can easily read my XML, and doesn't have to resort to 'screen scraping' the output of my forum. I can also easily change the output to another medium iso HTML, WML for example.
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think I know, I'll use regular expressions. Now they have two problems. - Jamie Zawinski, in comp.lang.emacs
  13. Web Developer

That's a pretty massive forum at tweakers. But even their forum follows the common guidelines for forums these days. It looks like it could, basicly, be any of the common forums softwares.

Personalized forums please my eye better, that have unique but simple features, calm and good looking outlook, easy navigation, and still capable to handle any number of discussions, moderators, and users.

Taradino: Can I view your forums from somewhere?
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo