Thread: Need help.....

1. No one Important
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Need help.....

Howdy there. for a while now I have been looking for a way to block the viewing of source code in web browsers.

I cam accross a mirror site for Serials 2000 the other night and found that when I right mouse clicked in IE and also went view source from the toolbar options, all that appeared in the source was;-

<!-- Browser Detective - Protected Source Code -->
    <!-- Your IP Address Is Being Logged! -->

Has anyone come accross this before? If so where do I get my hands on it? I would love the ability to be able to fully protect the source code of a website I maintain..

If anyone knows of anything it would be greatly appreciated....
  3. No Profile Picture
    PHP Coder
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

And you couldn't scroll down and see the code? Did you check your temporary internet files folder? did you do a javascript:alert(document.documentElement.innerHTML) ?

Attempting to hide your source code is childish, unprofessional, and pointless goal that wastes time that you should be using productively... http://continue.to/hope
    Click here and wait. It's a kewl effect, trust me.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think childish and unprofessional are a little strong, but it's certainly pointless, timewasting and quite impossible. If you think you can hide your HTML source, you really don't understand what a web server and a web browser do.
    Please don't visit my lame personal website, www.webhamster.co.uk. Half the time it doesn't even work!
  7. No Profile Picture
    PHP Coder

The only thing you have to worry about is someone stealing all your code and claiming it as their own. If that happens, just make lots of hotmail accounts and send them "strongly worded" emails until they change it or take it down.

If your code is more important then your content, then you better get stronger content. Even Micro$oft, the people who think/say that Open-Source is cancer, don't try to hide their webpage source code. (although they should -- have you seen the code for their deeptree nav? Two words describe that script; huge bloat)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey Slipknot, sending abusive and harassing emails is going to be against the terms of service of your ISP and your webmail provider, and illegal in many countries too. So that's a no-no.

If you've got some money and the person/company that's ripped off your code has got some money, you could sue them. Alternatively, you could report them to their ISP whose terms of service will no doubt prohibit redistributing copyrighted materials.

If you haven't got any money then clearly your HTML code doesn't represent any serious value. In fact, as you rightly point out, HTML doesn't really represent much value for anyone. So really, we can chill about HTML source. Graphics are a slightly different matter but if someone rips off your graphics you can apply all the steps outlined above if you really think they're worth protecting.

As you and most people on this board will appreciate, every site of significance is dynamically generated these days. It's the database schema, application logic and content that are valuable, not the formatting of the output. Your code is hidden by default and plagiarism of your content should be easy to detect and remedy.

Microsoft probably *would* protect their HTML if they could; they seem to do it for everything else. However, they can't, so they don't.

The first person to mention shared source gets it square between the eyes, ok?
    Last edited by Adrian2; August 3rd, 2001 at 04:35 PM.
    Please don't visit my lame personal website, www.webhamster.co.uk. Half the time it doesn't even work!
  11. No Profile Picture
    PHP Coder

Actually, there is a proprietary (IE-only) way to encode your source. MSE (Microsoft Script Encoder) encodes the contents of script tags marked for encoding so that they're not readable, but they can be decoded.

I made this ActiveX Label script as an example.

But like I said, it can be decoded AND trying to hide your source is unprofessional...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cool script! What are the practical uses of ActiveX scripts like that?
  15. No Profile Picture
    PHP Coder

It has lots of uses like... uh... watching text spin!

I made that way back in my newbie days, when I thought hiding source would actually be worthwhile... (around when I started learning JavaScript)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo