1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need Help About Learning

I have been hearing and learning about awesome technologies like Redis, Resque, Mem-Cache, Couchbase, Nginx, Unicorn, Ossim, Solr, Selenium, Varnish, ElasticSearch, Vagrant and list goes on... I have always been inside the Computer Science part (Machine Learning) of things dealing with Mathematics. But now I am into web development and I want to learn about these. I can't even get started because I have no idea what they are good for -except web servers-. I cannot categorize these technologies and can't find any resource. Is there a holistic approach resource to the web deployment technologies? What i need is a resource about concepts rather than technical details. In addition to that, I can't find any resource on SaaS and Cloud development. All of the books i find are just for managers and concerned about the business model side. Help me, i need wisdom. Show the path.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Trying to learn all the "buzzwords" before learning the standard/basic will only make you confused.

For pure web-development (creating webpages), you will have to start with the basic:

At the "programming" side, you wil have following points:
    * For client side, this will be HTML, CSS and at some level JavaScript
    * For Server side this will be PHP, ASP .NET or JSP.
    * To create more dynamic informative site, you will probably also have to learn SQL.

At the server side, you will have to know about following the web service (e.g. Apache or IIS) and database (e.g. MySQL or MSSQL )

When you have learned the above, then you cna go further into the concept of SaaS and Cloud.
    Guess you have looked at Wikipedia about it? Can be a good entrance to get the overview, before going deeper into it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo