1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with setting up automatic SMS updates upon a web page update

Hi there,

There's a specific page on facebook.com, defined as a 'Page' on that website, so like a specific person's page but for a small organization. It would be very useful to me if whenever anyone posted a message on that page (which happens about 3-5 times a day) I could receive an SMS containing that person's message straight away - as opposed to several hours later when I have the time to check it manually.

Since Facebook doesn't offer that, I understand I need to personally set up a system that checks for new posts, pay for the SMS to be sent - and work with an online service to set that up or do some manual work myself. Sadly I'm not familiar with web/mobile programming (or programming in general! Sorry! ) but I'm keen to learn and get something done about this.

I'm wondering, can you point me in the right direction on this? For example, a web service I could sign up and pay for, that would let me set up auto-SMS for something like this. Or an existing project that had been worked on related to this type of problem, which I couldn't find because I was using the wrong keywords?

Thank you for your help!
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Facebook can email you on every comment, can't it? Why not just get a smartphone? Last time I used facebook (which was 3+ years ago) I was inundated with emails at all hours informing me of every tiny little interaction anyone had with anything I'd ever posted.

This kind of service isn't generally easily available, or cheap. Email is your best bet.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo