Thread: Work from home?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Work from home?

I have been with a small software company for about 7.5 years and I make squat for pay, no benefits or even paid vacation. I'm abused lol. The company is now moving out of state so I expected to lose my job, but was offered the ability to work from home because I'm so wonderful heh. I know a lot of you guys here probably contract or work from home so hopefully you can help me out. The plan is to give me a voip phone to run from my home. Here are my questions/concerns:

1) Is it fair to ask for compensation towards the internet for use of the voip system and doing my daily tasks that require internet use? Even if it's a tiny amount like $10-15/mo?? They offered to rent an office space for just me to use locally, but I declined. So I would think compensation for my utility bills or internet is fair.

2) I would not be on salary, but hourly. I'd be doing support 8-5. Anyone have issues working hourly from home that I should think over?

If you can think of anything I should negotiate for I would appreciate any input. I figure if nothing else I can stick this out temporarily until I find another job. I'd also be saving on fuel by not having to commute anymore. It could be a win/win but it may be horrible. Just looking for advice. Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

1) Yes. However, ask for it as a raise to cover costs”like getting a good webcam and microphonepgrading to a faster network plan. All of which will, of course, be used for conference calls and staying up to date with your team. Askin for 10 USD a month sounds petty. They want you so ask for a raise instead.

2) You need a dedicated room and computer. Otherwise you’ll get distracted. A corner of a room is not good enough. You have to close your office door and be alone and away from any family or other distractions. Even if you live alone you need this separation. It keeps your mind focused on work. MORE importantly, it allows you to leave the room and focus on enjoying your life.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo