Thread: Homesite 5.0

1. No Profile Picture
    Web Weaver
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Homesite 5.0

I know the "which editor do you use" thread has been done to death around here so this time I'm just asking about Homesite... For a long time it has been my favourite editor and I've never found anything that can match it. Version 4.5 seemed to have big memory leak problems on win98 but now version 5 is here and it is now Macromedia Homesite 5...

I've just downloaded and installed it and it still seems familiar enough. I'm yet to work out if I like it better or not...

Who else has tried it? What do you all think?
    Never say never.
  3. Is a Psycho

Hello Spyder,

I just purchased the upgrade and fireworks 4 package ($128.00 US). HS 5.0 seems pretty good, a little slower in some places and some dialogues (Settings especially) really need a update because they scroll.

But other than that, seems almost the same as the previous only with more features and a lot less memory leaks (I haven't tested it fully though).

I only noticed memory leaks in 4.5 and 4.5.2 seemed to run fine for me. I do know that 4.5.2 didn't like my old AMD K6-2/400 CPU (a long with a heap of over programs, so I bought a Celeron 700 and now I only trouble with some games)...

God Bless
    Scott
    Last edited by deepspring; October 29th, 2001 at 02:48 AM.
    deepspring

- "Netscape 4 users are like lemmings... You can't help but laugh when one falls off a cliff"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Web Weaver

Hi Scott,

Which version of windows are you running? I've got Win 98 SE and 256MB of RAM but when I open homesite 5 and look at my resource meter, it seems to eat a lot of resources (more than any other program I have... even more than flash or photoshop).

I've tried using HS a bit today but it has crashed several times. It seems that if I try to right click on a file in the file tree, it instantly crashes but won't close and won't let me press ctrl+alt+del. Also my CPU seems to constantly run at 100% as if it is out of control...

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed about this because homesite is one of my favourite programs and nothing else suits me better. Unless macromedia can do something to fix this, I think I'm going to have to go back to version 4.0 because it has been all bad since then.

I might give it a go on a windows 2000 machine at work. Hopefully that will be more stable....
    Never say never.
  7. Is a Psycho

Man you got a buggy machine....

I'm running Windows 98 First Edition (fully patched) on an Intel Celeron 700 with 256MB RAM.

I haven't had any problems yet. I have been using it for most of this afternoon and evening along with OpenSA 1.03b (http://www.opensa.org), MySQL 4.0a, I.E 6.0 and I haven't noticed any serious lag in system performance either...

How big is your windows swap?

Do you have EMM386.EXE loading in your config.sys?

What type of CPU (AMD, Intel, Kingston TC, Cyrix/IBM/Via-Cyrix) are you running?

AMD and Cyrix/IBM/Via-Cyrix CPU's tend to find all of the memory holes in programs... (I know this from personal experience).

Some other programs such as antiviruses (AVP Toolkit Pro is one known culprit) can also cause bad performance in HS.

God Bless
    Scott

Btw, the resource meter that comes with windows is a memory hog in its own right as well, so I don't recommend using it.
    Last edited by deepspring; October 29th, 2001 at 09:02 AM.
    deepspring

- "Netscape 4 users are like lemmings... You can't help but laugh when one falls off a cliff"
  9. No Profile Picture
    Web Weaver

Originally posted by deepspring
    Man you got a buggy machine....
    Not as buggy as it might seem... Normally it is pretty good. I do push it quite hard a lot of the time so Windows shows signs of strain sometimes but my homesite experiences are out of the ordinary. I'm now seriously considering upgrading to windows XP... The November edition of APC mag has some good info in it if you are interested too...

I'm running Windows 98 First Edition (fully patched) on an Intel Celeron 700 with 256MB RAM.

I haven't had any problems yet. I have been using it for most of this afternoon and evening along with OpenSA 1.03b (http://www.opensa.org), MySQL 4.0a, I.E 6.0 and I haven't noticed any serious lag in system performance either...
    That OpenSA site is interesting... thanks for the link

Do you have EMM386.EXE loading in your config.sys?
    Yes, it is loading along with HIMEM.SYS... does that make a difference?

How big is your windows swap?
    Right now my swap file is sitting at about 150 mb and that is with about 7 browser windows open (I often have more) + winamp + trillian + a firewall + virus scanner and a few other minor things.

What type of CPU (AMD, Intel, Kingston TC, Cyrix/IBM/Via-Cyrix) are you running?

AMD and Cyrix/IBM/Via-Cyrix CPU's tend to find all of the memory holes in programs... (I know this from personal experience).
    I'm running an AMD Athlon 600mhz... That is interesting to know about the memory holes... Actually I found further info on the Alliare site: http://www.allaire.com/Handlers/inde...11&Method=Full - it is a recognised problem...

Some other programs such as antiviruses (AVP Toolkit Pro is one known culprit) can also cause bad performance in HS.
    Good tip - I'll keep that in mind... I'd happily get rid of my virus scanner if it wasn't so important...

Btw, the resource meter that comes with windows is a memory hog in its own right as well, so I don't recommend using it.
    I've never been able to tell if it is or not but thanks for the tip...

Thanks for all your thoughts/suggestions... I gave homesite 5 a go at work today on my machine running win2k Pro and it ran very nicely... according to the task manager, it would use anywhere from 15mb of memory upon startup (and then down to 3mb after a while) and finally back up to 21mb when I had 3 small files open. Overall it seemed fine and I was happy to have it working. Win2k has always been a lot harder to kill so that is why I am thinking about going to XP at home...

Cheers
    Never say never.
  11. Is a Psycho

Remove EMM386.EXE from your config.sys and see how things go... EMM386 has a tendancy to cause programs to crash, I noticed this after my last install of windows when windows setup put it into my config.sys and certain programs were unusable or wouldn't install at all.

Also, up your swap Minimum size to 256MB and leave the maximum alone, the more swap you got the better with Win98SE

No problem about the link and help.. I am happy to help where possible...

Most programs seem to run well under Win2kP (except my SB128 PCI drivers ). If I had a copy of Win2kP I would probably use that instead of Win98FE.

God Bless Mate
    Scott
    deepspring

13. No Profile Picture
    Web Weaver

Thanks for all the tips again Scott - I'll give them a go soon All being well I probably won't have win98 for much longer but it is good to know what to do just for future reference...

Cheers!
    Never say never.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I havent heard of this Homesite- could someone tell me bit about it

Features
    Price
    Better Dreamweaver?
    Who makes it?

etc

Cheers,

Mk
  17. Is a Psycho

Mk,

Homesite has a lot of very nice features such as syntax highlighting, search-n-replace on three levels (document, files and all open documents), etc... you would be better off checking out Macromedia's site.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/

Homesite was originally written and sold by Allaire until Macromedia did a take-over.

Dreamweaver and Homesite are two different creatures.

Dreamweaver = W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G
    Homesite = Suped up and Glorified Text Editor (like ultra-edit).

They are built to work togethor or seperately depending on your preference.

Well anyways... take a look at the site and make up your own mind.
    deepspring

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo