Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Gringo
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question How many hours do you code per week and sum($experience)

I've been "programming" for almost a year. I say "programming" because I've done mostly HTML and that's not really programming.

But lately I've been on the ball and have my text editor open some 15 to 18 hours per day and 7 days a week. I'm an artistic director at work and now carry the title of Webmaster also. I hope to be classified as a moderatly almost good PHP programmer by spring.

So how long have you guys been doing web apps and the like? And how many hours do you spend on average doing this.
    Still don't know how to do a "Hello World"?
  3. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

Well, being the relative newbie that I am, I have only been web developing for about 6 months now, and using PHP for about 4 months. I normally do C programming, and have been doing so for about 3 years now, productively that is. I would say that, on average, I spend about 6 hours coding, on a good day, 2 on a bad. It depends on how things go on the workday. But, I also keep note pads around the house so when I get a particular idea, I can jot it down and not forget it. This is real handy when I wake up in the middle of the night with the solution to a bug that has been bugging me throughout the day.
  5. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

The reality:

~6-8 hrs coding per day when a day is devoted to it
    ~60% of my workdays are devoted to coding (I have a very bizarre, diverse job and work experience)
    4+ years coding / technical work as a full-time job. Before that, I was coding for fun for 15 years.

Coding path, if anyone's interested-
    LOGO->TRaSh 80, I think
    Basic->Commodore 64 (remember poke and peek? I don't.)
    Pascal->MS-DOS, various flavors
    Turbo Pascal->Win 2.x,3.x
    Pov-Ray->Win 3.x, Dos 6.0 (don't know if this is coding, but it sure is fun!)
    Brings us up to 1997
    MUMPS/Magic Admin->NT
    dBase-> NT
    MS Access->NT
    Foxpro->NT
    Brings us up to 1999
    c->Linux (a little)
    PHP->Linux
    mySQL->Linux
    Perl->Linux
    shell scripting->Linux

A steady evolution from bad to better, as you can see. I pretty much only code on linux / for linux now, because I work with organizations smart enough to trust my judgement about open source. .

7. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

I learned Basic through the good ole C64. I remember those good ole POKE and PEEK tools, were good. Actually missed them when I started doing some VB crap.
    I can see where you are coming from on the Linux programming, I do all of my C applications on that OS. Unfortunately I still have to do some stuff through windoze. But, we all have our hardships.
  9. Mobbing Gangster

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    Guys, you are all lucky to spend that much for coding. The most I have had coded is 7 hours continuosly, but on average I only code somewhere from 30 mins to 1.5 hours.
    And you know I mean that.
  11. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

The reason I code so much is because I am relatively new to this company. I is usually a norm that the longer you are at place, the less you actually accomplish. Say, with most programmers, they produce thier most work within thier first four years at a company, after that they spend most of thier time either:
    a) helping others
    b) tech support
    or
    c) goofing off
  13. Mobbing Gangster

c) option is the best
  15. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

somehow knew you'd say that
  17. Mobbing Gangster

I'll take it as a compliment See, I am not very difficult to predict, now am I?
  19. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

lol, and a compliment it was.
  21. Newbie :P
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Man you lot don't do much

I guess it's coz I'm self employed so I earn what I like and I like money so I work lots, been programming various I won't bore you with the list, but been with PHP & MySQL for hmmm almost 2 years.

My shift pattern is very erratic as I am based in the UK and most of my clients are from the US, Japan etc so the timezones really kill me, but I generally work 32 hrs sleep for 6 and then make sure I get a day off over the weekend.

Coding wise I probably spend 20 hrs out of those 32 actually coding, the rest is divided into taking care of my sites, replying to e-mails blah blah.
    ---------------------
    -- SilkySmooth --
    ---------------------
    Proxy
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

i do it for fun, earning nuttin-cause im @ school
  25. phpkid ~~~~~~ :o)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Mine varies.

and it all depends upon my TODO list. If I have to give something to someone then I might code for hours.

still, till date I have coded continously for 6 hours. Not more than that.

But I think daily I spend around 2 hours doing coding though it can be in VB, C,C++, PHP anything.

I think your logic is important rather than particular language.

and yeah by coming here at Devshed, I get to know some new programming problems and by trying to solve them, I really get good practise and I think my knowledge keep on increasing !!!

To tell you truth, I wouldnt have this much command if I were not coming here.

JD
  27. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

by JDK
    I think your logic is important rather than particular language.

and yeah by coming here at Devshed, I get to know some new programming problems and by trying to solve them, I really get good practise and I think my knowledge keep on increasing !!!

To tell you truth, I wouldnt have this much command if I were not coming here.

JD
    I can agree with that. Once you have good logic, it really doesn't matter that much on which language you use. I doesn't take that long to move to another language if need be, all that is needed is to learn is the particular rules/keywords that apply to that language.
    I can say that Devshed has raised my level of knowledge through trying to solve problems, and learning how people have solved problems.
    We are always learning, if we are not, then something is probably wrong.
  29. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

This is a pretty reletive question. I've been working on web apps for over 5 years. Maybe more, but recently I've lost count. From that I spent several years only on HTML, JScript, and CSS. About a year has passed, during which I've used both PHP and MySQL.

I spend about eight hours a day, at least, with my apps. This is the amount of work I do for living. But then there are also home projects. Like personal scripts and web pages. They often steal about the same amount of hours from me. That would make it 16 hours a day. Still, there are also days when I get home and I'm so full of it that I don't even wish to look at my PC. So it's reletive. Also, if our working schedule requires it, we do over time at the office. Once I sat there from 8 AM to 10 PM.
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo