1. /*
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Photoshopping is an art form of its own.
    I wonder how this program would go with my picture?

*/
  3. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

So, if you 'shopped' an image, display it on screen hit PrintScreen and saved it in a JPEG, surely that would be the original, non?
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  5. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Analysis of Benno's image as downloaded:
    Code:
    Searching Compression Signatures: (3327 built-in, 1 user(*) )

EXIF.Make / Software        EXIF.Model                            Quality           Subsamp Match?
              -------------------------   -----------------------------------   ----------------  --------------
         CAM:[NIKON                    ] [E2500                              ] [FINE            ] No               
         CAM:[Nokia                    ] [N73                                ] [                ] No               
         CAM:[OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO.,LTD  ] [C2000Z                             ] [                ] No               
         CAM:[OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO.,LTD  ] [C3040Z                             ] [                ] No               
         CAM:[PENTAX                   ] [PENTAX Optio 550                   ] [                ] No               
         CAM:[Research In Motion       ] [BlackBerry 8100                    ] [                ] No               
         CAM:[SEIKO EPSON CORP.        ] [PhotoPC 3000Z                      ] [                ] No               
         SW :[IJG Library              ]                                       [085             ]                  
         SW :[Picasa                   ]                                       [085 (Normal)    ]                  
         SW :[ZoomBrowser EX           ]                                       [medium          ]                  
        *SW :[Paintshop Pro            ]                                       [100             ]                  

The following IJG-based editors also match this signature:
         SW :[GIMP                     ]                                       [085             ]                  
         SW :[IrfanView                ]                                       [085             ]                  
         SW :[idImager                 ]                                       [085             ]                  
         SW :[FastStone Image Viewer   ]                                       [085             ]                  
         SW :[NeatImage                ]                                       [085             ]                  
         SW :[Paint.NET                ]                                       [085             ]                  
         SW :[Photomatix               ]                                       [085             ]                  
         SW :[XnView                   ]                                       [085             ]                  

Based on the analysis of compression characteristics and EXIF metadata:

ASSESSMENT: Class 1 - Image is processed/edited

This may be a new software editor for the database.
      If this file is processed, and editor doesn't appear in list above,
      PLEASE ADD TO DATABASE with [Tools->Add Camera to DB]
    Analysis of Benno's image viewed in viewer and printscreened/cropped. Aside from cropping to original image boundaries, no processing was done.
    Code:
    Searching Compression Signatures: (3327 built-in, 1 user(*) )

EXIF.Make / Software        EXIF.Model                            Quality           Subsamp Match?
              -------------------------   -----------------------------------   ----------------  --------------

Based on the analysis of compression characteristics and EXIF metadata:

This may be a new software editor for the database.
      If this file is processed, and editor doesn't appear in list above,
      PLEASE ADD TO DATABASE with [Tools->Add Camera to DB]
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Almost every image off the internet "the program" has stated that:
    unless I upload and then download a pic from the camera then I get either:

ASSESSMENT: Class 4 - Uncertain if processed or original
    While the EXIF fields indicate original, no compression signatures
    in the current database were found matching this make/model

or

Class 3 - Image has high probability of being original
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by ctardi
    you know nothing about computers, do you want a camera that needs you do fiddle around with finding and installing some other software that you've never heard of, or do you want one that takes good photos without any extra programs?
    OK, I'll buy your argument about point-n-shoots. But the whole point of an SLR is control and the ability to fiddle with it. So why have a weak implementation of 10% of the fiddling you need on a dSLR? The controls I've seen use deep and non-intuitive menu systems that you can dive into using limited controls. They run on slow CPUs.

Sure, the cameras are really computers. And they have some "fix it" functions in the software. But there are free programs that use your already there computer, which is sitting there with 50 times the memory and processor it needs to just run email and IE, so why not use it? And there are web based services that don't even need much of a computer.

Yet all the dSLRs have badly implemented, poor functionality software. Most strange.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by tj_nt
    he EXIF fields indicate ....
    Relying on EXIF fields is as useful as believing that the User-Agent information from a browser indicated which browser is being used. Even early versions of IE reported their User-agent as Mozilla.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Relying on EXIF fields
    moot point
  15. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I doubt that camera manufacturers are interested in providing decent computer-based processing software. It's quite an investment. Typically they provide software for their version of RAW as a standalone or, possibly, a plug-in for Photoshop, et.al.

I know people with dSLRs in the $1000-$2500 range that haven't the foggiest notion about camera use OR post processing. Depth of field is how dam' big the farm is. Aperture is a flightless bird with hairy feathers. Shutter speed is how long it takes to paint 'em in the spring.

It's a possession. Typically, it gathers dust while they snap around with their cell phone.
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by sizablegrin
    It's a possession. Typically, it gathers dust while they snap around with their cell phone.
    Yeah, grok that. I remember in 1976 or so, was helping a successful business associate take suitcases out of his car's trunk. In it was a unprotected Nikon F body and lens, no lens cap. No case, just loose in the trunk, getting beat up by sliding suitcases, dirt, etc. I was appalled. My Nikon F was six month's salary. I treated it like a baby.
  19. Type Cast Exception

I had to laugh at this short little article about obvious and poorly done photoshop jobs on photos in real estate listings.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  21. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I have adequate cameras. It ain't the same dam' thang. If price were no object I'd have a Hasselblad medium, some good large-format jobbie (I haven't decided which), and a top-of-the-line Nikon (Leica is good sure, but extensively overpriced).

The best I've ever owned was a Nikon F2AS. It was really the last of the Nikons that would let you use it if the batteries went south. The batteries were only used for the exposure meter. I tended to used an incident meter, anyway.

Titanium shutter; interchangeable prisms/screens. A real doll, stolen in a burglary. If the thieves had contacted me and asked for ransom I'd have given them anything other than my wife and grandson. Yeah, the kids, even.
  23. Type Cast Exception

I have a nice canon SLR but on my last trip I admit I used my iPhone and my little canon digital elph more than the good camera because the others are simply more convenient. Also the digital elph takes some damn good shots itself, and the iPhone lets me email or upload photos immediately.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by medialint
    n digital elph more than the good camera because the others are simply more convenient.
    Its long been a rule, the camera in your hand is going to take a better picture than the camera that is in the trunk of your car.

What made the Nikon F famous was that it was a ton more movable than prior cameras.

Yes, the Canon point-n-shoots do take amazingly good cameras for their size and price

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : ::the camera in your hand is going to take a better picture than the camera that is in the trunk of your car:: I like that :-)
  27. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

the camera in your hand is going to take a better picture than the camera that is in the trunk of your car.
    So true. I was so enamored of the F2, though, that it was never in the trunk. I had it with me every damned day, along with a potato-masher flash and two extra lenses. I got probably 10 unexpected good pics I wouldn't have gotten. What's that out of 10 zillion times I didn't need it or click it?

The tripod was in the trunk, though.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
    Yes, the Canon point-n-shoots do take amazingly good cameras for their size and price
    My Canons are certainly not in the same class as the Nikon F series, but they are not "point and shoot" either. Not everyone needs nor can afford a $3000+ camera "system", and it's not necessary to take high quality pictures either.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo