1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Ways to increase my knowledge

i am starting a dot com with a friend of mine. its going very well so far. he is the business guru and im the techie. i was wondering if there are any good books or periodicals that can help me improve my technology skills and expand my knowledge base.

EDIT:
    i see that not many understand what im trying to say. what ways can i improve my leadership skills and expand my knowledge into leading business technology?
    Last edited by killerasp; November 12th, 2002 at 11:17 PM.
  3. I Like Adnams Ale
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Books and periodicals (and the Net!) will help to a certain extent, but I have found that there is no substitute for meeting the customer, preferably on their territory. Social engineering will help you.

Here's my take on it. The best way (I think) to achieve your goal is to get involved with what your buddy is doing, but at not such a deep level - you are a techie after all, but you need to try and understand where your customers are coming from. In a company where there are just two of you, there will have to be some role sharing.. I have found that if you can start mixing with potential customers they will then hopefully tell you how their business works, in general conversation. If they come up with a problem and you can then say something like, "Well I am working on a system to do just that", then you immediately have something in common, and can build a business relationship from there.

I have found that seminars are a good source of contacts, and they are quite often free! For example, Micro$oft recently staged a local small business seminar in our area and managers from many of the local businesses came along. We were all together under one roof - what an opportunity ! I talked with a lot of potential customers, and gave away a load of business cards - hopefully I will get some leads out of this. The seminar was supposed to be about what MS could offer small businesses, but turned out to be a pitch for .NET. Listening to what people were saying gave me ideas about solutions that I could offer.. With seminars, even if they seem to be irrelevant to what you are doing, and are free, go to them anyway - it's a great way to meet people and get those contacts !

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo