1. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome Ancient Dragon. Always nice to see newcomers to the industry join in here
  2. echo $usertitle['computer'];

Welcome, please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle and enjoy the ride

I think that was Sep's intro...
  3. Banned (not really)

Thief.
  4. echo $usertitle['computer'];

What ya going to do about it?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Got source?
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Considering that he's a bot, the worst he can do is spam you
  6. Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Well, thanks all. I just hope I don't make too many enemies here -- I can be quite vocal occationally.
  7. Big Daddy
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

LOL, we're all enemies here.

Chris
    Pop, pop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!
  8. No Profile Picture
    Brony & F/OSS Advocate

Post Here's my life story...

No we're not!

Anyways, I just noticed this thread and decided to, for lack of better wording "introduce [myself]". My name is Peter, and I got my first 66Mhz (I think it was an i486) computer back in 1991 when I was 5 years old. (I'm 18, btw, a legal adult since yesterday.) I don't know when it started, but I haved loved compters & technology for as long as i can remember (which, in my case, may or may not be that long ^_^), and am a total geek. I love math & computer science, and other related things. The first programming language I ever learned was for my TI-82 back in sixth grade, and my first program was something like
    Code:
    PROGRAM:AREA
    :Prompt L,W
    :Disp "Area=",L*W
    My 8th grade algebra teacher, actually, was so impressed by my coding skills (I had learned a lot by that time) that he actually said "here, you want this?" and gave me the TI-86 I now use. I then got into programming in Pascal and C++ in high school computer science classes (I am a senior currently). , and working with microcontrollers. I just took a Robotics/Microcontroller Programming class last semester. That was SOOO much fun! I have been doing web programming for about 2 1/2 years now, specializing in Perl and PHP for the server-side scripting langauge and MySQL for the database back-end. I am leaning Java currently, and also learning more about the whole Linux/Unix OS-thing (I just downloaded Fedora and am experimenting on that, so my comp is on a dual-boot). I am fluent english (duh!), spanish, and am learning Klingon and Elvish. (nuqneH.) I am a major trekkie and Tolkien fan (yes, both) and I love sci-fi stuff. It may be sad, but I honestly do see perfection as man and machine integrated as one entity (like the Borg almost...Species 5618...), and I really love technology, if I haven't stated that already and if you haven't noticed by now ^_^. I also do stuff (mainly configuring) with Apache.

I also believe that I would not be able maintain my current level of [in]sanity without music. It's another part of my "way of life" dream. The most relaxing thing imho, apart from being with friends (Yes, I have friends), is to put some good music (Linkin Park, Relient K, Weezer, John Williams, Howard Shore, Enya, Juanes, Queen, Styx, Coldplay, etc.), open up the IDE (Integrated Development Environment) to write/compile/test/debug code. And all of that while drinking a delicious blend of French Vanilla coffee.
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I am a true caffeine addict. Notice the avatar? If i don't have caffeine, I will seriously get headaches and be really tired/short-tempered. Then again, that (caffeine addiction) is probably not very uncommon among those here at DevShed.

Why did I join these forums? Originally, I had a bug in my PHP script that I could not work out for like an hour straight. I cam here on a link from Google, and looked through the forums, and found an answer to my problem that someone else had in a matter of minutes. So, I decided to join, so that I could help others and get help myself.

Last, but not least:
    More about the music as a part of my life. I love to sing, and am taking vocal lessons currently. *light bulb*There is a pic! Here is a picture of our choir director in one of his I've-had-to-much-sugar-your-singing-actually-sounds-good moods.

Last part, promise
    I love philosophy and discussing things about it.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. I wish I had a pic of me online I could link you too, but, sadly, I don't... *tear* Well, maybe I can describe myself...I am just under 6 feet tall, in decent shape, black/brown (No one has ever figured it out) hair, and light-brown eyes. I can type about 45-50 wpm with about 85% acccuracy. I play no sports. I read probably around 300 wpm last time my dad timed me. That's probably because I love reading so much. I have friends who are practically all geeks/nerds.

So, here I am, willing, and usually able to help with what I can. So to all reading this: have fun in your adventures with code!

And always remember: there are always people better at you than can offer help, and people less talented than you that you can give your help to. Did I just sum-up the whole point of these forums? {@_@}

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : Hello
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile My details

Oh, well, I am rarely here - anyway, I dont want to miss out:

45 years old
    Diploma in CS
    25 years in the industry
    Internet Development
    Hardware engineering
    Unix, Windows, DOS, CPM
    Married 20 years (I think)
    One child
    living in OZ since 1992

My favorites are quantum physics and geology - my favorite book is Timeline - very entertaining and well written. Other publications from Prof. Hoimar v. Ditfurt, Prof. Schoch( age of Sphinx)...enough of that.

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : Hello
    Last edited by tropical193; February 2nd, 2004 at 12:22 AM.
  10. echo $usertitle['computer'];

Welcome
  11. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally posted by computer
    Welcome

Thank you, sniff, at least one welcome
  12. No Profile Picture
    Brony & F/OSS Advocate

Welcome to the forums! I'm definitely not the most exprienced/hiighest-post-count person here, but here's my advice for someone just starting out here: If you post a question correctly and clearly state what's wrong, what it is doing, what you want it to do, etc.; You will get help rather quickly.

Have fun!
  13. Second highest poster :p

... and if you are out of luck you will get flamed anyhow.
  14. Banned (not really)

My only advice: Don't cry. There's no crying on Dev Shed...

---John Holmes...
  15. Second highest poster :p

but.. but... *sniff* :P

I just remember that lovely Star Wars Names thread.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo