1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Free? Why not.

Not to seem argumentative but didn't you mock it earlier with the 13 year old remark?

But, yes it is the lounge, 'posed to be casual.
  3. Senior Member
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

yup .. that was me being guilty of mindless goating and following the herd... and if the lounge is 'sposed to be casual (which I agree), why is computer so uptight about my statement, I wonder..... Not that I give a Sh!t anyway.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I guess 'cause most of us didn't get your reference, it seemed pretty snide. You know, it's hard to convey attitude when writing these things, sometimes I'm sure that i sound like a jackass to people when I'm just going for levity.

Also thirteen year old girls are a little more fragile, I guess he was looking out for her.

I've found that about half of the people in the "lounge" are casual, the other ahalf are snide, pompous, arrogant, and uptight just like in real life. You'd think that web developers would have a sense of humor, huh?
  7. Senior Member

Its cultural differences..... When you meet in an international setting like here, unless someone specifically attacks you as a person, then all remarks should be taken lightly or even ignored, for as you indicated, its hard to convey attitude, or even portray one's mindset in a few cryptic sentences....

If you can make fun of yourself, then snide remarks will never bother you to the extent you need to get pi$$ed.
  9. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally posted by jackass
    the other ahalf are snide, pompous, arrogant, and uptight just like in real life.
    Screw you buddy! You.. you go to hell and you die!

---John Holmes...
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally posted by webmasta
    Its cultural differences..... When you meet in an international setting like here, unless someone specifically attacks you as a person, then all remarks should be taken lightly or even ignored, for as you indicated, its hard to convey attitude, or even portray one's mindset in a few cryptic sentences....
    A full ACK to this. Always keep in mind that people here come from all places around the world.

Some months ago, I got a PM from a user here. Although (I think) I am quite good at english, I didn't understand half of it. I sent some words thru an online translation program and, well, if a stranger had called me this in RL, I would have beaten the sh1t out of him.
    I was asking a friend about it who is a native english tongue. He told me that the whole PM was written in a style like mothers talk to their little children. I of course could not see that.

So I was just laughing at it, being sure that this guy had no idea who he was talking to and did probably mistake what I typed for similar reasons, smiled, ... and had a good laugh with my mates.

Cultural differences. I can call my friend a sonuvabitch. You (in the US) probably can too. Other cultures require the target of your insults in this case to kill you to restore his family's pride if you do that...

The "keep in mind" also goes to the cultures where a rude way of talking to each other is not so common.
    <sarcasm>
    Keep in mind, we're only dumb short-sighted western hemisphere inhabitants where pride is nothing you can buy something for.
    </sarcasm>

Regarding computer's post, I can not see anything wrong with it. He is a moderator here and he has to take care so noone starts fighting here. Also maybe his hormons made him protect the innocent little girl LOL

@Sepodati:
    How could one go to hell without dying?
    </sarcasm>

Oops, which one is the right close-tag?
    M.
  13. No Profile Picture
    =) wannabe?
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : Hello
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, great. now I'm dead and in hell. Thanks Sepodati. Will me back out, Oliver Cromwell's down here and he won't shut up.
  17. echo $usertitle['computer'];

lol....

and to be honest, I don't really like people being 'nasty' to others who are new here, trying to be friendly and are young...

it seems like some of the web community just disregards children as stupid people who don't know anything about computers... even though 13 is quite young, we have many older teenagers here that have quite a good bit of knowledge (take wannabe, john5788, etc)
  18. Perl Hacker turned Farmer
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hey, I'm the starter of this thread and all you whackos out there are hijacking it! It's supposed to be "Introduce Yourself" and not "Let's argue over [place your own phrase here]"

Really, I think the thread should stay as it is. Introducing yourself is more than stating your ASL. Voicing your opinion says a lot about who you are as well. All in all, I am quite pleased with the content of this thread.
  19. Senior Member

Regarding computer's post, I can not see anything wrong with it.
    Neither me, I didnt take offence, just explained where I was coming from. (and why do I even need to do that ...? just so she understands what I meant)
    He is a moderator here and he has to take care so noone starts fighting here.
    If thats the case, then he should wait and see how the girl takes it instead of playing papa (who knows if she understood my remark for what it was?)
    Also maybe his hormons made him protect the innocent little girl LOL
    After what I personally saw happened to children in Nam, I dont think theres anyone here more protective of children than myself ..... (All for your information and guidance)
    webM

for $i(0..20){for($j=0;$j<=$i;$j+=2){print pack(qq{H2},
    substr(qq{5f5745424d415354415f},$j,2));}print qq{\n};};
  20. echo $usertitle['computer'];

horman... whats that? is it related to norman?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Bates? Definitively.

(how far off-topic can we go tonight? LOL)

M.
  22. echo $usertitle['computer'];

so do you like pizza?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

my 3 year old woke me up the other day hovering over me, poking me in the arm with a tack. Can I have some protection?

P.S. Oliver says, "I have an excellent idea...let's change the subject!"

Now since we're so far off topic, if we change will we go back?

Wait, wait! I know, let's talk about Kellie's quality webhosting!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo