1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Telecommuting and IT needs

My company has finally agreed to me working at home most of the time of the week. This works well for me since I have been having troubles going to work. Anyway, the thing is, although working at home has its advantages, the only disadvantage I can think of is when the time comes that I will be needing some assistance for my IT concerns (troubleshooting to be specific). My question is, what kind of software should we have in order to have a remote access?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Brony & F/OSS Advocate
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Many companies I know use remote desktop software (such as VNC) over a secure connection (such as VPN). Would something like this suit your needs?

Comments on this post

• Dangerous agrees
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  5. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

If you have access to VPN, you could as well use the standard remote desktop with Windows.

Comments on this post

• Dangerous agrees
  7. Contributing User

I second the VPN as a good base connection. I know my company uses a native Windows feature to allow control to be taken of a computer without RDC (so the user can observe).

Other than that I know there are a few websites that allow remote connectivity, but am not sure of pricing or security. I had a few software vendors use that as a means of support and it gave me the creeps, but turned out fine.
    It's like lightning striking a unicorn...
  9. No Profile Picture

I've voiced my concerns to my boss and he told me that they're just ironing out some details and that they'll soon be installing some software that will help us access company files and data from our own devices. I really think that this is a good change and I'm just thankful that they've made it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo