1. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

ISO: inexpensive parity 72 pin SIMMs

I'm looking for eight, inexpensive (used is fine, as long as they work -- free is even better ), hardware parity72 pin SIMMs. They must be 60ns or faster. Ideally, I'm looking for 16 MB SIMMs, but I'll consider 8 MB. The least expensive I've been able to find is $25 for one 16 MB SIMM.

Since I need eight of them, I think you can see how that price quickly becomes a bit absurd. Especially considering the fact that the machines they are going into were free and I can get 512 MB PC133 DIMMs for $70. Yeah, I know... supply and demand... yadda, yadda... that's why I'm asking for your help. You don't necessarily have to have any, as long as you can point me in the right direction of where to look.

Also, I have a dozen or so non-parity SIMMs that I could trade, if that would be of help.
    Michael
  3. Newbie :P
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Have you tried eBay, their search is pretty crap for finding specific items but if you browse a little you might find some cheap deals.

HTH
    ---------------------
    -- SilkySmooth --
    ---------------------
    Proxy
  5. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Yes. All I've been able to find are people selling four 4MB SIMMs and listing them as 16 MB. I also tried all the RAM sites and PriceWatch. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    Michael
  7. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    I've looked online, and I think $25 is probably the price (absurd price) for 16mb simms. I think the s/h costs 10 out of 25. The best way is to go local college and ask them if they are getting rid of old pcs and if so will they sell you some parts (what? I've done it several times ). You could check out www.newegg.com, they've got one of the best prices around, but I didn't find there anything with 16mb in it
    also, may I ask what for do you need 8 16mb simms?
    And you know I mean that.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

College! What a brilliant idea! Thanks.

As for what they will go into, I apologize -- I thought I mentioned that, but I guess it was in another post. I have three Sun SPARCstation IPXes with various amounts of RAM in each. I'd like to upgrade them all to 64 MB. Unfortunately, since the IPX was made around 1993-94 and used SIMMs, the constraints for what kind of memory and in what combinations I can use is rather stringent.

...and what's a gangster accustomed to warm climates doing knee deep in solid water?
    Last edited by pieux; October 5th, 2001 at 12:05 PM.
    Michael
  11. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    glad to help, hope you'll get 'em to sell you some.

P.S. from the link you gave us:
    The SparcStation IPX was one of the most popular "lunchbox" machines made, so they are easy to find and find parts for
    yeah, right, very easy to find parts for.....

And you know I mean that.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Sure, it's easy to find parts for them ...they just didn't happen to mention that you'd be spending eleven and half times the current going rate for the parts.
    Michael

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo